TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PLASMA IR

I know this is a topic that has been beaten into the ground - if fact I have been one of those nay-sayers... I thought IR was only something that would happen if you severely abused your Plasma.

I own a panasonic th-42px77u.

It has roughly 150 hours of viewing time under its belt. I followed the break-in procedures set in the manual and used a break-in dvd available on the AVS Forum.

Right now the settings are roughly: Standard, Picture:15, Bright:5, Temp: Med.

Last night I watched 3 innings of the sox and yankees on espn2. When I turned the cable box off at the end, the ESPN2 ticker remained emblazzened across the bottom of the screen. I turned the box back on and watched a few other channels for 10 min. The ESPN logos were visible... with these channels on. And remained when I turned the cable box off again.

My response to this is: You have got to be kidding me.

So am I to learn... that after dropping all of this money on a TV that is supposedly great for sports, that I am going to be ducking and diving from IR bullets all football season long?

This sucks! I bought this TV because it is advertised as being great for sports. "The Speed of Sports," they say. I've read extensively that burn-in doesn't happen on these new plasmas. "Vary your Viewing,"... which, I might add, I do.

So am I now stuck with something that is going to be destroyed after a season of football????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLASMA IR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLASMA IR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For sure..this sucks! but here is something to think about.

In reply to: PLASMA IR

Is it my TV or is it ESPN???

Collapse -
I'm a little confussed.

In reply to: For sure..this sucks! but here is something to think about.

What do you mean?

Are you saying that it's the fault of ESPN?

At this point, I don't care. Logos... on screen scoreboards... all of that stuff are a reality of TV today. Why would anyone buy something that has to be babied to the point that you can't watch normal television??!?!? Check that... what about a freakin' football or baseball game????????

I love the PQ of my panasonic. But if I'm going to have a life of worrying about constant IR (ESPECIALLY DURING COLLEGE HOOPS), then I think this might be one of the worst purchases I've ever made.

Collapse -
TIME SENSITIVE PLZ HELP i thought you said on your review

In reply to: I'm a little confussed.

hey i thought you said on your review that this was a minor issue? so which is it? right now sears has a promotion where i can get 20% off (10 % for employee discount) and $150 off so it comes out less then 1 G. now i come from a crt tube 27'' samsung non HD digital tv slimfit.

now only reason im cosidering this tv is because of the price, but if its going to be ****** then this is not a good purchase PLEASE help as this is TIME SENSTIVE

Collapse -
Not LG

In reply to: TIME SENSITIVE PLZ HELP i thought you said on your review

If it's an LG forget about it. They are plagued by problems. I know. I own one.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.