Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Smart Home & Appliances forum

General discussion

plasma installation

by rbj7 / April 4, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

I just bought a 50" plasma and I wanted to purchase the swing arm mount but was told that I would need to make sure my studs were reinforced that the 2x4 studs would not hold the weight of the TV. Is this necessary? And dose anyone have experience just using 2x4?

And can anyone recommend a swinging arm mount?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plasma installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plasma installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They are right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: plasma installation

Since you can't check if the studs are without splits and more you'll want to rip off the drywall, double up the studs, drywall, paint and then it's ready.

Collapse -
PS. I recant (a little)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: They are right.

This is not a job to be taken lightly. I can't count the number of Homer Simpson type install jobs I've seen. And why I noted the safest method I know of.

Collapse -
I disagree. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2008 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: plasma installation

Having sold said plasmas and the wall mounts including the swing arm units, it can be done. Not recommended for a novice do-it-yourselfer, precautions must be taken. It's a two person job. Find the mount you want. Go to The Home Depot or equivalent and purchase 1/4" X 3" lag screws. One for each mounting plate hole. Use a stud finder to locate the studs. Do this several times until you find the exact center of each stud. Measure carefully and level the mounts, marking the mounting holes on the sheetrock. Use a drill with a 3/16" bit. Use a socket or open end wrench to screw the lag screws into the studs. If you miss the exact center of the stud, the stud may split out to the side. There's no room for guesswork here.

Properly mounted the studs will hold the TV. If you have any reservations, have it mounted by a professional.

Collapse -
Are they Qualified
by rbj7 / April 6, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I disagree. . .

I'm having Best Buy install the TV and said that they don't recommend but didn't say they wouldn?t do it. Do you think that they should be qualified to do such work??? Will Best Buy have the right lag screws, or will I have to provide them? Do you recommend any certain swing arm?

Thank for all your help

Collapse -
If they do it. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 16, 2008 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Are they Qualified

and it falls, they buy you a new one.

Collapse -
A swing arm on a 50 inch tv,
by ahtoi / April 20, 2008 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Are they Qualified

the mounting hardware must have costed an arm and a leg. How much was it and the installation cost?

Collapse -
(NT) The other arm and leg.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!