TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Plasma Image Retention?

I bought a Panasonic 50" plasma this fall (model TH50PZ850U). After displaying shows/games with static images I often see a ghost image of after switching inputs to display a black screen. This goes away after a minute or two of moving images. Sometimes the ghost image is of something that was only displayed for a few seconds. Is this normal, or am I not taking proper care of my new HDTV? I have about 120 hours on the TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma Image Retention?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma Image Retention?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
normal stuff for plasma

In reply to: Plasma Image Retention?

That's a very nice HDTV, btw ;). A certain amount of IR is normal w/ a plasma. Now if it didn't go away quickly like you've described, then you have a problem per se. FWIW, there's some excellent discussion of this particular phenomenon over @ avs forum-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

-Pedro

Collapse -
you need to read up on something

In reply to: Plasma Image Retention?

break in time for plasma tv's

Panasonic (goes for ANY plasma too)-
( http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PlasmaFAQ?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&langId=-1&catGroupId=24973 )

"4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?
When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.). "

Collapse -
That is an elaborate way to say

In reply to: you need to read up on something

don't set the TV brightness & contrast to maximum. That is not the appropriate picture. Turn those two settings back to normal.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.