HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Plasma Calibration

by jgoetzel / December 4, 2008 8:04 AM PST

Ok, so I am trying to calibrate my new Panasonic Plasma. I had heard that any blu ray with the THX logo would contain an area to help with this. I rented Indiana Jones (the new one), and can't find any place that seems helpful in this area.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma Calibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma Calibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Has anyone callibrated there tv in this way?
by jgoetzel / December 4, 2008 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Plasma Calibration
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 9:30 PM PST
Collapse -
THX optimizer not the same as professional calibration
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2008 11:24 PM PST

The two terms are not always used correctly. Unfortunately, using a THX *optimization* disc doesn't do the same thing as a professional *calibration* since it doesn't get you 'under the hood' into the service menus. Unless you are trained I would not recommend poking around in the service settings. Now THX optimization might be better than the settings you can achieve manually with your naked eye, but you might look at an HDTV in person that has been professionally calibrated to see the difference. That will be at least couple hundred dollars though. You could also *rent* a DVE or AVIA disc to see if one of those performs any better than the THX method. From Gizmodo for reference-

http://gizmodo.com/5098917/how-to-calibrate-your-new-hdtv-and-not-lose-your-mind

good luck and please post back your results when you get a chance.

-Pedro

Collapse -
prof. calibration
by hajash / December 6, 2008 4:36 AM PST

forget the professional calibration ,its not needed plus it will made your tv very dim. its only for people with too much money to notice some is gone or those anal types who watch their tv's in the dark.

Collapse -
Not exactly true.
by jostenmeat / December 6, 2008 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: prof. calibration

It will look too dim, if you calibrate it at night, and then watch during the day, on the same setting.

A good ISF calibration will get you specific settings for EVERY source you have, whether cable, dvd, bluray, etc, AND multiple settings between day and night for any particular source.

Well, I know someone who did that with his own Pioneer. Im sure other brands will have less settings or flexibility in doing so.

And some TVs are so bad anyways perhaps, that its worth it. But, I still think its a bit of an over-generalization to claim that people would be considered anal to watch in the dark.

What, do you prefer that movie theaters had skylights?

Collapse -
calibration
by hajash / December 6, 2008 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Not exactly true.

as a subsciber to many audio-video mags including the super snob mag "stereophile", i can definitely say there are anal types in every aspect of both areas. listen, i have owned and still own stereophile recommended amps, preamps, speakers, cables, etc. Guess what? side by side they may sound different(better?), butwithout side by side comparisons they all sound pretty much the same. the point is, with or without a professional calibration they all look pretty much the same if you dont have them sise by side! well so it goes, like all the "recommmended component" to the basement. i now use a pioneer receiver(big one though) to unclutter my life. cheers

Collapse -
your humor brightened my day(!)
by Pepe7 / December 6, 2008 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: calibration

"forget the professional calibration ,its not needed plus it will made your tv very dim. its only for people with too much money to notice some is gone or those anal types who watch their tv's in the dark."

It must be nice going through life with the blinders on. LOL.

The HDTV only looks dark to you because you aren't accustomed to a more accurate PQ, or possibly, you actually prefer the less than ideal 'torch mode' of the big box retailers. Heck, I suppose you're entitled to an opinion, but nobody's *mandating* spending the extra cash on calibration in this thread, it's just an option being discussed. And in case you haven't figured it out yet, a dark location isn't required to gain some benefit from going through a professional calibration. Even my 'non-geek, non-videophile' friends (ROTFL, using your logic) noticed the difference in PQ when I took them to a specialty store with the same plasma panel they saw in another location, but professionally calibrated. Their only complaint was that they weren't made aware of such a possibility by the installer who came to their house the previous year. I did receive one compliment from a friend who commented he wasn't aware the green color of the NFL grass could get any more realistic than after the calibrator left his family room ;).

-Pedro

Collapse -
THX calibration
by Dan Filice / December 6, 2008 5:01 AM PST

That was me who suggested using a DVD with the THX calibration setup. No, it's not the same as using a "Professional Calibration Disc" (which I also have), but for good initial setup, the THX calibration is great, especially since most people try to setup their TVs using their eyeballs. If you do use the THX calibration, then use a small piece of blue gel (clear blue plastic sheet) as this will be essential to calibrating more exact colors. I've used the THX setup on my TVs and for a quick semi-professional way of doing things, it works wonderfully, especially since many DVDs come with this setup and you don't need to pay another $40 for a setup disc. Until someone else here uses the THX setup and can claim differently, I personally recommend it.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.