Question

Plasma 720p or LED 1080p - Help Trying to make best choice

I am finally making the move to a flat panel TV, I am comming from a CRT 1080i set. I am on a budget, and have it down to two choices. 1. $549 Insignia Plasma 720p with 2 yr waranty included 280Watts. or 2. $599 Westinghouse 46" LED-LCD 1080p 1 yr warranty 80 watts. The T.V. will go into a small living room where seating is directly in fron of screen about 6' - 7' away. The room is not in direct sunlight, and can be darkened easily with blinds. The sales person recommended the Plasma for best picture, warranty and high refresh rate. Sya that most network programming is in 720p. He stated that there would be slight reduction in sharpness when using BlueRay on the 720p. I am just a little worried about the reliability factor of the Westinghouse. The picture is nice on both, but the LED is superior. Please help me make the best choice for my use, and budget.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+50%22+Class+/+720p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9745916.p?id=1218166152566&skuId=9745916

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Westinghouse+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED+HDTV/1997794.p?id=1218305394279&skuId=1997794

Thanks,

Chad

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Plasma 720p or LED 1080p - Help Trying to make best choice
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Plasma 720p or LED 1080p - Help Trying to make best choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
"NO" to both choices

Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy either of those TVs. For a tight budget, do to Costco and buy the Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma for $450. I have this set in a bedroom and it's stunning, and you get Panasonic quality. I have it connected to Blu-Ray and PS3 and HD cable. Insignia is one of the Best Buy in-house brands and I think Westinghouse is the low-end model made by Philips (which is not good in themselves). By the way, that idiot at Best Buy is wrong about "most network programming is in 720p". Most is in 1080i. But don't use this as a reason to not buy a 720p set. In smaller screens, like a 42" or even a 46", 720p is fine.

- Collapse -
Answer
Other options maybe?

I suggest you reconsider your purchase and look at some other reputable plasma brands such as Samsung or Panasonic. $599 for an Insignia is steep IMHO. For the same price you could get a Panasonic with better color, PQ & viewing angle via Amazon.com. Have you tested out some of the various HDTV panels yet and actually compared the 720p/1080p resolutions at similar seating distances? It might be helpful.

- Collapse -
per Dan's suggestion @ Costco

Nice price right now-

CNET Forums