Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Planning to go to WIN 7 from XP

by Ahhh_there_u_r / September 17, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

hello everyone, i hope i am in the right place for my question. I am planning to go to WIN 7,right now i am on a genuine WIN XP SP3, i have a 1T HD, but only a 150GIG system partition on the it, i have backed up the partition ( full system backup and partition image backup)to an EXT 1T HD using Acronis backup software. My question is once i install WIN7 and the backup software, and do a restore of the backup image (barring any restore issues)will i have a mirror image of my current XP system on my new WIN 7 system
thanks for any advice
New system specs
AMD 940 Black edition
4 Gigs Corsair XML 8500
EVGA GTX 260 ?Core 216? 55nm
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Planning to go to WIN 7 from XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Planning to go to WIN 7 from XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

All versions of Windows seem to fail to run if we move them about the partitions.

I'd just clone the entire drive.

Collapse -
the whole 1t HD ?
by Ahhh_there_u_r / September 17, 2009 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one thing.

you mean clone the Entire 1T HD or just the partition XP is on ?

Collapse -
What I would do
by Jonmor68 / September 17, 2009 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: the whole 1t HD ?

with the prices of drives so low, I would get a smaller drive for the OS something like 160-250GB and leave it as a single partition.
Then you can image the whole drive, as Bob said moving partitions around can have problems.
Use the 1TB drive for storing your data and backups, but don't forget to still use dvd's for permament backup of what you don't want to loose.

Collapse -
what i would do
by Ahhh_there_u_r / September 17, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: What I would do

from what i uderstand when i install WIN 7 it will see what i already have my OS on (priamary partition 150Gigs, so if i just restore my backup to that partition how is that "moving" a partition ? am i missin something ?

Collapse -
What's the goal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: the whole 1t HD ?

If you want to have a fall back position and be able to run what you have now, clone the drive. If you only need the files then clone just that partition. I'm unsure how much clearer I can make this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.