Tip

Planning on buying a Gaming Laptop

Hi there, I'm Jordan.

I'm new to these forums, and well, computer gaming in general. I just recently got a taste of Guild Wars 2 on a friends computer and I think its finally time for me to get a decent one of my own, but I have no idea where to start.

I decided to get a laptop over a desktop for the obvious mobility, and it would be nice to have a decent one since I'll be going to collage next year.

I'm looking at around a $2000 budget, and in addition to GW2, at some point I plan on playing Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Devil May Cry, Mass Effect 3, and Batman Arkham City.
So generally games that require high FPS at all times.

I don't mind if the graphics aren't at the highest settings, just as long as it runs as 60+FPS with as little drop as possible while in the medium-high quality range.

Also, it would be great if it could last me a good 5 years if possible.
I know longevity is a tough one when it comes to laptops, but if any of you have experience or advice with this it would be great.

Thanks, and I hope I;m not asking for the impossible

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Planning on buying a Gaming Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Planning on buying a Gaming Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check out Newegg and

see the new models of Asus and MSI.

- Collapse -
The problem with 5 years is

I don't see everyday laptops hitting 5 years all the time. Switch to a gaming laptop and I halve that number. That's why I suggest that once you can live with the short life span, then you are ready. If not, get a gaming DESKTOP and a normal laptop for the usual laptop use.

Nod to the first reply and the Dell XPS and Alienware units.
Bob

- Collapse -
Concerning the lifespan

I'm pretty set in a laptop.
Being that I'm almost never home right now, I'm sure I'll be out and about even more next year, so it would almost be a waste to get a desktop.
But looking at these two models: http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=358
http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=369
Is there anything I can do or buy to make them last longer?
I decided an SSD would be a must, and MSI apparently has some kind of "cooling boost technology", but I'm sure there is something else I can do, other than just being careful, to keep it alive longer right?

- Collapse -
Yes. Don't game on them.

It's like racing your car. Take it to Daytona and hit the track and hold it at 120MPH. It breaks much sooner than if you pulled back to 75.
Bob

CNET Forums