Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead

by EdHannigan / May 11, 2010 6:21 AM PDT

Does this seem appropriate?

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/06/2010-05-06_plan_for_mosque_near_world_trade_center_site_moves_ahead.html

A proposal to build a mosque steps from Ground Zero received the support of a downtown committee despite some loved ones of 9/11 victims finding it offensive.

The 13-story mosque and Islamic cultural center was unanimously endorsed by the 12-member Community Board 1's financial district committee.

The $100 million project, called the Cordoba House, is proposed for the old Burlington Coat Factory building at Park Place and Broadway, just two blocks from the World Trade Center site.

"I think it will be a wonderful asset to the community," said committee Chairman Ro Sheffe.

Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf, who helped found the Cordoba Initiative following the 9/11 attacks, said the project is intended to foster better relations between the West and Muslims.
-----------------------
Really? Better relations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure, why not?
by Josh K / May 11, 2010 7:05 AM PDT

If the center's mission is successful, then maybe fewer people will react to things like this the way you are now.

Collapse -
How am I reacting...
by EdHannigan / May 11, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure, why not?

exactly?

Don't you think it's just s little disrespectful? I am sure many would find it so.

Collapse -
Really? Better relations?
by Diana Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: How am I reacting...

That sounds disrespectful.

Diana

Collapse -
Do you really think building this thing....
by EdHannigan / May 11, 2010 12:18 PM PDT

will lead to better relations? Or that that is the real intention?

Collapse -
I don't know
by Diana Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 1:11 PM PDT

But I'm willing to give it a try. We have a lot of Muslims in Syracuse (some women cover everything but their eyes) and I don't remember any incidents.

I think that, if they want to reach out, I would be willing to meet them halfway. Wouldn't you?

Diana

Collapse -
We can meet them halfway..
by EdHannigan / May 11, 2010 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't know

in another location. Erecting this near Ground Zero is kind of an "in your face" gesture that will not win them any friends. It just seems stupid to me.

Collapse -
reaction?
by James Denison / May 11, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure, why not?
If the center's mission is successful, then maybe fewer people will react to things like this the way you are now.

Do you mean explosively?

I have an idea. Build something next to it on ground zero that leans that way, so if it's bombed again and falls, it will hit the mosque.
Collapse -
Does this seem appropriate?
by Mike_Hanks / May 11, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

No.
But it is what it will be.
Can't imagine what what happen if a 24 hour Bacon Shack opened up next door to the mosque

Collapse -
I like that idea
by James Denison / May 11, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

I hope someone opens it quickly, before any mosque is built. Blow the aroma outside, like some burger joints do.

Collapse -
Yummy
by oldie and goody / May 11, 2010 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I like that idea

teh Pig Shack:)

Collapse -
I meant
by oldie and goody / May 11, 2010 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Yummy

The Pig Shack!

Collapse -
I think
by oldie and goody / May 11, 2010 1:24 PM PDT

it is a slap in the face from some really arrogant people. No sensitivity for what happened at all.

Collapse -
(NT) What's next? One next to Pentagon?
by James Denison / May 11, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
What's next?
by JP Bill / May 11, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

A doughnut shop next to a cop shop.

Collapse -
That's a mosque?
by JP Bill / May 11, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Where are the minarets?

steps from Ground Zero

How many steps in 2 city blocks in New York City?

The $100 million project, called the Cordoba House, is proposed for the old Burlington Coat Factory building at Park Place and Broadway, just two blocks from the World Trade Center site.

Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse Corporation is a national department store retailer focusing on clothing and shoes, with over 360 stores in 42 states . In 2006, it was acquired by Bain Capital, LLC in a take-private transaction.

Don't like a mosque "within steps" of Worlds Trade Center? steer clear of Burlington Coat?

Sounds like an American Corporation taking advantage of free enterprise and probably making a profit on a sale of a piece of land, with boarded up windows....(just what a part of town wants, boarded up windows)

People don't want to drive by a mosque on the way to honour victims of 9/11?......looks like an office building to me.....only one route in New York City?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.