Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Placing Logo's in Word Docs- without saving to doc each time

by Eils / February 23, 2005 11:02 PM PST

Dear Sir/Madam

We have a number of forms on our system that require to be updated. They all have similar header templates/tables in which our company logo is placed.

Instead of placing the logo into the header each time when creating the document and having to save the logo along with the doc, I would like to save the logo only once and have it appear on each form as it is opened, so it can be viewed and printed. I do not want to have to save the logo with each individual document.
I am unsure of how this can be done and was wondering if anyone may be able to shed any light on the subject.

I hope this makes sense!

Many Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Placing Logo's in Word Docs- without saving to doc each time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Placing Logo's in Word Docs- without saving to doc each time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll need a programmer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:50 PM PST

The programmer could write a visual basic or optionally a VBA routine to do this. There is no "point, click, drool" solution available. You need a custom software solution. The VBA solution to integrate with Word is not something I would help a company do without tight restrictions on support. I found that method to be too unstable as Microsoft revs the Word versions.

What usually happens is the company never can accept that such is needed and they end up assigning the task to some co-op or unlucky employee.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
Thank u
by Eils / February 27, 2005 7:47 PM PST

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I think we will be giving that a miss then for the moment - think I would be the unlucky employee!

Collapse -
So.... Duck?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thank u

What's that saying? "Duck, run and cover."

There is a market for .DOC mass manipulations, but the brutal truth is that it can't reach the 99 buck range since there isn't that much of a market and everytime I've gone near this the specifications vary.

Maybe you'll find a VB programmer in your company. If you do, then you have 1/2 the solution.

Collapse -
by Eils / March 1, 2005 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: So.... Duck?

Yeah, in a nutshell!

We have no technical support within the company as such, we outsource as an when rqd so

Collapse -
by taboma. / March 3, 2005 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah

Is there any way to create a template doc, similar to QUARK in Word? Save as: a template?
Once you set up a template in Quark, with the header and graphics in place, than all the new pages you create are identical to the template. One cannot overwrite a template. You cannot save a template once it is created. You have to do a save-as.
I do not use M$ Word for publishing. I use Quark.
Hope this helps and saves you time and

Collapse -
Re Placing Logo's in Word Docs
by wetterfugal / March 11, 2005 2:59 AM PST

Could you not generate a blank form in Word with the logo and heading you require and save it as a template i.e *.dot? You will find it in the "save as" dropdown menue. When you finish the form save as *.doc you will need a seperate template for each form of course.

Collapse -
by taboma. / March 11, 2005 2:37 PM PST

That is exactly what I was suggesting as in Quark Express. I do not know much about MS Word.
Are we on the right track here?
Please tell the poster exactly how to do it in Word.

Collapse -
Doesn't comply with their request.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2005 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: Template

They want to affect 100's of documents without opening and saving each one... manually.

Collapse -
Placing logos
by taboma. / March 13, 2005 1:05 PM PST

Eils, If you are interested in updating a logo on all pages, name the new graphics exactly as the original file and place the new logo file into the original folder. The new graphic will be updated on 100s of your documents as updated files. When you open the doc a screen may come up and ask you do you want to modify/update all files? Click yes.
This should work for you.
Missed it the first time out.
I use Quark, and other publishing software or MS Word files should also update all files automatically.

Collapse -
by taboma. / March 14, 2005 4:24 AM PST

Eils, Forget my suggestion in the last post. I do not think it would work for you in WORD. It would work in Quark if the original logo file had a simple modification to it, such as changing the file from gray scale to cmyk, or as a simple modification to the original file without changing the size.
Why do you use M$ WORD as a publishing tool?
The premier publishing tool in the world is Quark Express. There are hundreds of extensions written for it each year that may handle a problem as what you suggested.
I am not a Word person.
However, CNET has a master in Word in another forum. The forum is Microsoft Office. Go to it.
Eils, in the subject line title put in:
Dreamboat: Need help with Word Publishing.
Dreamboat wrote a book called "Dreamboat On Word."
She can also help you out. Post to Dreamboat your question.
Also go to the publishing Forum and present your question.
Presently we are in a Graphics Forum.
If you need info on how to change hundreds of files from JPEG into an EPS file with a color change, or to use unsharp mask, etc. with Adobe Photoshop, than this Forum may be your No. 1 choice.
Eils, I also post to the wrong Forums. Takes a while to learn the CNET Forums. I am still learning.
I probably drive the Forum Moderators nuts!
Just trying to help you out,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?