TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

pixilation with HDMI

by stevedelage / March 1, 2011 10:31 AM PST

I have a cable box that is remotely located on other side of room (approx 40') from TV.I ran an HDMI cable through wall/ceiling. I get a lot of pixilation and disruption of picture. Cable guy says there is plenty of signal strength at cable box. Any suggestions? Cable guy says any run over 30' requires a heavy duty HDMI cable. Is this true and where can I purchase one? I have a HDMI cable that was purchased on ebay as locally they are ridiculous $.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pixilation with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pixilation with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No that is not true
by givemeaname / March 1, 2011 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: pixilation with HDMI

One you can run HDMI to 100 ft with out trouble, anything over that you need a booster.

Did you get a new tv & is it bigger?
The bigger the tv the more you see "problems" in content, like pixilation & banding.

What model tv & brand is it?
Could also be some tv setting(s) ON that should be OFF, like noise reduction should be low or off, high normally adds problems. What mode is the tv in?

Cable has never had best PQ. What cable company do you have? & what model cable box do you have? Some models are better then others.

Good places for good cables at very good prices:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Collapse -
hdmi pixilation
by stevedelage / March 2, 2011 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: No that is not true

My tv is a Samsung 46" LN46c630KIF and the cable box is from Time Warner and is a Samsung SMT-H3050. This is a bigger tv than we have had in past but never had cable issues. This problem seems to happen more in afternoon and alot on Fox channel. It may just be thats when I watch most often. I have used my DVD with the same cable and the picture cuts out several times throughout the movie. I moved it closer and used 3' HDMI and had no issues. Bad cable maybe? I have had these issues since I got the cable which is when we got the bigger tv and the digital upgrade. Thanks and I look forward to any further assistance.

Collapse -
Yes, bad cable or bad connection
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: hdmi pixilation

If the DVD cuts out too for the most part you can be fairly certain it's the cable or connection/connectors that's bad. Since you watch mostly FOX that's merely coincidental it cuts out. (what does an hour in the afternoon of another channel do by comparison?)

If it's truly impractical to relocate your cable box much closer to the HDTV, I recommend bluejeanscable or monoprice.com for sourcing your replacement HDMI cable. Monoprice is more of a bulk discounter, and bluejeans is run by home theater enthusiasts, FWIW.

Collapse -
Agreed- 40' normally isn't an issue
by Pepe7 / March 1, 2011 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: pixilation with HDMI

Is this signal disruption on all channels or only certain channels? All the time or only certain times of the day/night while viewing? Pixelation is not uncommon with some cable carriers since they often heavily compress certain channels that can lead to what you've described.

For kicks and giggles what happens when you extend the cable box closer to the HDTV and use a simple 6 foot HDMI cable? Similar result? What make/model cable box are you using, btw?

Is there any way you could upload a screen shot or small video of the problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.