Laptops forum

General discussion

Pixel-ated EXPENSIVE Screen ...

by IndiHeat / August 19, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

I bought a new Dell e1505.
1 GB Ram , 1.83 Ghz Duo Core, and 256 MB NVIDIA Go Geforce 7300.

The Computer is awesome, but the display is somthing im worried about.

I Spent a extra 90 bucks to spurge on the 15.4 inch UltraSharp? Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife?....

I watched Pirates of the Carribean on it... AMAZING. Better than the TV.. but the regular websites are very pixelated. Even the Google logo on the site is pixelated.

If i lower the resolution It gets blurred.
I dont know what to do ?

My freinds HP display seems better when he spent less money.

help.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pixel-ated EXPENSIVE Screen ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pixel-ated EXPENSIVE Screen ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contd...
by IndiHeat / August 19, 2006 1:30 PM PDT

Only the Large fonts and Pictures are pixelated. the regular text is fine.

Collapse -
Same here
by Fouad Bakht / August 19, 2006 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Contd...

I bought a Dell Inspiron E1405 with 14.1" WSXGA TruLife and with highest possible screen resolution. Same problem as yours. If the LCD is manufactured by Samsung, this will happen.

Collapse -
So what do u suggest?
by IndiHeat / August 19, 2006 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

is there anything we can do... which screen would have been better if any ?

Collapse -
It's a tradeoff
by samkh / August 20, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: So what do u suggest?

LCDs are manufactured with fixed dpi. Any image other than native resolution is pixel interpolated. Choose a hi-res screen great for movies and photos or choose a lower-res screen great for text and web graphics. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Would changing to a lower resolution help?
by udayan71 / August 20, 2006 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2006 2:52 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

If you opted for some over 1024x768 LCD on a laptop you may be suffering from a common reason such are returned in large numbers. Unlike more GHz or GigaBytes, more screen pixels can result in dissatisfied owners. The article above covers what native resolution is.

I don't know if you've read my replies in the past warning off buying 1280x1024 laptop displays.

Bob
Collapse -
i didnt read them
by IndiHeat / August 20, 2006 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

mine is 1650 X 1050 ... but the movies and digital photos are better then in real life.

Web sucks. too much.

Collapse -
I had two sessions with Dell help
by tcantrelln / August 20, 2006 4:28 AM PDT

They told me to download a graphics option 'Modifier?" (Fonts-version 1.3.1.4 from Exceed Software. Link was on the Dell Website) Installed it, selected the proper option, everything is great now.

Collapse -
do you have the email of the conversation with you...
by IndiHeat / August 20, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

I cant seem to find it on the dell site. can u give me a more detailed name of the program ?

Collapse -
I just searched Dell
by tcantrelln / August 20, 2006 5:32 AM PDT

And you are right- I still have it saved on the laptop, not a very big file. I could try zipping or RAR and send it somewhere.??

Collapse -
I Rar'd it, uploaded to free download platz,
by tcantrelln / August 20, 2006 5:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
It works!!
by IndiHeat / August 20, 2006 5:01 PM PDT

the program does work well however , you cant have the cake and eat it too.... now that all the pictures look great everywhere... they are scaled down ! you almost have to squint for some text also

is there any cure to this, or is this the price you have to pay with a 15.4 screen ?

Collapse -
I have gotten so
by tcantrelln / August 20, 2006 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: It works!!

Accustomed to the sizing (Took about a day) that I don't notice, I adjusted icons, bars, bars, etc and am perfectly pleased with it- I did however go up to 2GB ram and am pleased with the difference. Only real quibble in the whole purchase-setup-use evolution was the AMAZING amount of "fluff ware" it contained, and all the hidden sneaky partitions-(Partition Magic to the rescue).

Collapse -
Excuse me
by samkh / August 20, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

What exactly does the IEScale software do? I can change text size in IE6, even without running IEScale, but it does not work with all web frames. View the Dell website and you will find that text and graphics size is independent of IE6 settings. Other sites, eg. CNet, do scale according to IE text settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?