TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pioneer Plasma vs Sony KDS

I am buying a new tv soon and am considering one of the two tvs I mentioned above. I am looking for about a 50" display and I know these sets are quite different but I was wondering if any of you have a strong opinion one way or the other.

With the plasma I can save space but I know the Sony has more performance capabilities. Does anyone own either of these two sets?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer Plasma vs Sony KDS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer Plasma vs Sony KDS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I give the slight edge to Pioneer

In reply to: Pioneer Plasma vs Sony KDS

I personally don't own one of these TVs, but by an odd coincidence my parents happen to own both of them. I have spent a bit of time watching their Pioneer PDP-5071HD and their XBR1 Sony (so it's last year's model), and I would personally choose the Pioneer simply for its better SD performance. Neither of these TVs does a great job on regular signals, but the Pioneer seems markedly better at it. Also, if you have any plans for gaming on your TV, I would be wary with the Sony model. The XBR1, at least, lags with video games, whereas the Pioneer does not.

If you are more concerned about HD programming, however, the slight edge should go to the Sony for its 1080p capabilities (assuming you're looking at the new KDS). I also find the user menu on the Sony to be more robust and easier to navigate than Pioneer's.

I can't find serious flaws with either of these sets, so its really a toss-up. The HD picture on either set is top notch, they both have generous connectivity, wide viewing angles, etc. No matter which you choose, you will be getting a superb machine.

(Warning: If you choose the Sony and this set is used frequently by other people, make sure they are okay with such a huge TV. My mother grew to dislike the Sony purely for its size, and that's why they also have the Pioneer.)

Collapse -
Look At This All You 1080p Dreamers

Sorry, I had to get people's attention so they would read the bottom part of this post.

First, to answer your question. I would go with the Pioneer plasma. If you get a chance to view the Sony KDS then watch the screen and then move to the left or the right and you will see the picture change. This will not happen with the plasma which has the best off angle viewing of any type of TV. If you always watch from a central "sweet spot" then disregard. However, I think the plasma is still the best display.

You who think that 1080p is the ultimate and far superior to 720p, read this quote from a new review from Sound and Visions review on the new Pioneer PRO-FHD1 1080p plasma listed below:

"SETUP If you want to see all the detail in 1080i and 1080p HDTV signals on a 1080p-rez set like this one, seating distance is crucial. The customary 7-foot span between my couch and TV proved a bit too much; shortening it to 6 feet let me better appreciate high-def programs. If you sit farther from the PRO-FHD1, chances are the picture won't look much more detailed than it would on a native 720p display"

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/equipment/1742/pioneer-elite-pro-fhd1-50-inch-1080p-plasma-monitor.html

RR6

Collapse -
thanks...both of you

In reply to: Look At This All You 1080p Dreamers

I know that both sets are highly rated and the Pioneer is Consumer Reports favorite plasma. The Sony might be too much TV for the room it will be in since my couch would only be 6 feet from the Sony and probbaly 8 feet away from the Pioneer since I would probably wall-mount a plasma to save space...which kind of makes me nervous but I would definitely make sure the wall-mount is stable.

I need to look at the price comparisons too, but I do like the viewing angle gains from the Pioneer and I know it won't crap out on me like a Vizio or some other lame brand.

Collapse -
Went with the Sony

So today I was browsing on Crutchfield and noticed that the Sony KDS-50A2000 was on sale for $2400 including free shipping, delivery, no payments/interest till 2008 so I went for it. I figure I can sell my current Philips 51" HDTV for $800-$1000 to make the purchase even more cost effective.

For that price I am definitely getting a quality TV.

Collapse -
Great!

In reply to: Went with the Sony

That's an excellent dealer. Please come back after you two (you and the Sony) get intimately acquainted and give us a report on your new Sony. Looks like a super nice display.

RR6

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.