PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 not reading dvd or cd

by priveye / June 21, 2005 11:05 PM PDT

I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 (manufactured March 2005) and installed it on my PC. I have 3 operating systems and on each one it will not play or read any CD or DVD whether it is an original or a copy. When my PC boots up it recognizes that I have the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109. Prior to installing the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 I had an LG DVD RW and it worked fine. Would this be a firmware problem or something else? Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 not reading dvd or cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 not reading dvd or cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 11:08 PM PDT

Boot from said DVD drive as a test that it's still a good unit. If you can't boot from a CD/DVD drive, then it is suspect.

1. If it boots. Was the jumper set the same as the old drive?

2. Is there a drive letter?

3. Did you try to boot SAFE MODE and remove all the CD/DVD drives in Device Manager and reboot? This will refresh many settings and helps many.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR Works on 1 of the operating systems
by priveye / June 22, 2005 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Thanks guys I was able to get it to work on Windows 98. However, I am still not able to get it to work with my other two operating systems on my pc (XP Professional and Windows 2000 Pro). I tried the safe mode on all 3 and it worked for Windows 98. Also the jumper is the same and there is a drive letter for the Pioneer 109 DVR that shows up on all 3. When I insert a disk in XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro it will show that a Cd or Dvd is in there but when I try to play or start the the light blinks but then it comes up on screen saying that disk not supported or not vaild format. These are all orginal disk that I have tried as well as a few that have been copied. Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem for XP and Windows 2000? Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 109 not reading dvd or cd
by jcrobso / June 22, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

And if what Bob said dosen't work, that it back and get another one. John

Collapse -
Ditto...
by wahnula / June 22, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

...if jumpers are set correctly drive could be defective. We're seeing this more & more, as prices plummet so does quality control...I've seen (3) defective drives in my little PC circle this month, all relatively new.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?