HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pioneer 5080(720p) vs 5010(1080p).

by SephirothXR / October 23, 2007 8:05 AM PDT

It made no sense to buy an Elite Kuro at 720p because it's the same price as a 1080p kuro. In this case, the 720p Kuro is $2500 while the 1080p Kuro is $3500. When I wall mount it, I will be about 13 feet away from it. I was thinking of rearranging my room however so that I would be only 7-8 feet away maybe. 1080p is the future, and if you're going to be spending this type of $, you'd rather get 1080p.

I will eventually get a PS3 for Blu-Ray and plan on getting an HD-DVD drive for the 360(maybe even an Elite 360 to replace my current one), so 1080p might become important later, but it's still up for grabs. Should I go with the 5080, or is the extra $1000 worth the price?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer 5080(720p) vs 5010(1080p).
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer 5080(720p) vs 5010(1080p).
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A thousand dollars difference?
by Coryphaeus / October 23, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

Nope. But only you know the depths of your pocket.

Visually? Nope, not for a grand.

Make a visit to a good TV store. Have them show you the difference in -I and -P. Then the choice is yours. I have a Sony 55" SXRD that will play -P. But I've not invested in any input device. I've not been impressed with -P. Maybe, someday, if the mood strikes me and the -P/HD DVD players go below a couple hundred dollars, then maybe. Maybe.

Collapse -
Go for the 1080p
by GSRich78 / October 23, 2007 5:55 PM PDT

I would go for the 1080p if it fits your budget. Because later on you will have second thoughts about the picture quality. On 720p screen, you will these pixels that blink when you are up close to the screen. You will have a smoother picture with a 1080p monitor. Trust me!

Collapse -
$1000 is definitely...
by stuntman_mike / October 24, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

not worth it. And this is coming from someone who has a 1080p set. At 50" and a seating distance of 13ft, or even 7-8ft if you rearrange your room, the difference is not really discernable. It is debatable what the cut off is for seating distance and screen size, but even if it is a little off it hardly justifies a $1000 difference. The 5080 is highly touted by many reviewers, not just CNet. I am sure you will be more than happy with the performance and I can almost guarantee that it will be extremely close to the performance of the 5010. Most experts agree that the most important factor in a good picture is black level, even over resolution. The black level performance on the 5080 is the best CNet has ever measured so why break the bank unecessarily.

It is your money of course and I definitely understand the desire to have a 1080p set. As I mentioned before, I have one. But if the difference in price were that drastic for basically the same TV with different pixel counts, I don't know that I could have justified that to myself.

Good luck

Collapse -
Purchased the 5010
by jruiz16646 / October 25, 2007 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: $1000 is definitely...

sales person offered me the extended warranty for about $500 more. But do I really need it or is it just a Best Buy rip off??

Collapse -
My opinion is that...
by stuntman_mike / October 25, 2007 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Purchased the 5010

you should always get the warranty. Best Buy, CC, PC Richard, and stores of that caliber have very good warranty policies. You should read what the awrranty covers of course before buying it, but it should cover a vast range of issues. These TVs are great but they are new technologies. Many people experience some sort of problem with their sets, whether they be plasma, LCD or RPTVs. It is best to cover yourself against any possibility.

I had a friend, just last, week have a problem with his brand new Sony XBR4. He did not buy the extended warranty. His TV was bought in Sep and was just out of the 15 return policy for J&R. He sepent the next 2wks dealing with Sony trying to get the set fixed. He was finally able to finagle the manager at J&R to give him a new one, but it would have been a lot simpler with a warranty.

To give you another example, and the main reason that I bought the warranty, I had another friend that bought an old 55" Sony CRT RPTV from Sears with the warranty. He had the set for about 10yrs or so. During that time period he had the TV serviced for various reasons. All the while he kept extending his warranty every time that renewal came up. The fixed the set many times. The great thing about the warranty is that they state that if they can not fix the set, that they have to give you a new one. Well, the set finally died. They were unable to fix it anymore so they had to give him a new one. Guess what? His Tv was a dinosaur lol. They didn't make it anymore. So they had to give him his choice of TV for the equivalent amount of what he paid for his set originally. Now a 55" CRT may not be worth too much now, but it was pretty expensive when he bought it. So you can imagine what kind of TV he has now lol.

Even without the whole new TV thing, it still makes sense. None of the new TV technologies are without their problems. It is a good idea to protect yourself.

I would also look into getting the set that you want from PC Richard. I believe that their warranty is either less money or covers more years than BEst Buy's. If Best Buy has it cheaper, PC will price match so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't know if you have a PC in your area though. The other reason why I say consider PC is because although they are a large chain, they still have a Mom n Pop attitude, and they are much more open to negotiating not only price, but policies as well. Where as CC and BB have very strict guidelines and such, and are not usually open to bending rules. Just a thought.

Good luck

Collapse -
Just say no.
by woodygg / October 25, 2007 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Purchased the 5010

1. Why not get a tv at Costco that includes an extended warranty from them included in the price (a price that's probably as good or better than Best Buy with no extended warranty.

2. I have a background in accounting/finance and work for an electronics mfg. One of my jobs is to estimate our warranty liability and to cost out extended warranties. I know how this business works, and I KNOW that they make a profit margin that would make your head spin. I have yet to ever buy an extended warranty and have yet to ever need one. With the money I've saved by not buying extended warranties, I could purchase two brand new HDTV's!

IF a high tech product is going to break, it will almost always break quickly - that is the nature of electronics. Bad solder joints, defective component, etc - they will generally show up right away while they're under warranty. The failure rate drops down until you get out to about 6 or 7 years (generally speaking) then rises... the chart looks like a bathtub...

Tip - the worst thing you can do to your electronics is turn them on and off often. this is what can wear them out - heating up/expanding - cooling off/contracting... the best example is a light bulb. When does it almost always burn out? Right when you turn it on. A friend of mine had been a TV/appliance repairman earlier in his life - when I?d turn on his TV at his house, he'd always tell me to leave it on and he'd turn it off at the end of the day. Of course, i won't even touch the issue of electricity use...

Of course, it's been pointed out, that if you can buy it cheap enough, it might be worth it. Someone mentioned they purchased a two or three year warranty from Sam's club for $70 on an HDTV - for that price, I'd probably be tempted as well. You are essentially purchasing insurance - VERY EXPENSIVE insurance. Check with your credit card company, some offer extended warranties if you use their card to purchase the item.

Collapse -
Hrm...
by AJones4 / October 25, 2007 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Just say no.

Firstly, "something going wrong sooner than later" isn't backed by consumer surveys or statistical evidence. Secondly, many of these panels have gone through major redesigns and are newer technologies to begin with, making reliability trends difficult to predict.

However, at $500, that warranty is ludicrous. That's almost 20% of the purchase price of the 5080. 10% is the average per consumer reports.

Do your research on Best Buy and how they honor their extended service plans.

Find a local dealer who carries that set, also. They typically offer you better service before and after the purchase at the same price as the big boxes.

As per the two, 1080p is really only noticeable when you're watching content filmed, output, and displayed in 1080p sitting close to the set. Most places can't A-B the two.

Collapse -
i personally wouldn't
by woodygg / October 25, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

i figure that in three years or so, i'll be able to buy a much better 1080p set for 1000-1500 or so... and all else being equal, you're not really going to notice the difference now.

Collapse -
Pioneer plasma
by 50plasma / October 28, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: i personally wouldn't

Interestingly the Panasonic PZ700U did much better in Consumer Reports than the Pioneer 5080. Personally I have been looking and am interested in the 5010. I saw the Pioneer Elite 1150 HD (768)side by side with Panasonic on a test DVD both through component cables and the Pioneer looked better. I was unable to see the Pioneer Elite 1150 HD side by side with the Pioneer 5010 (non-Elite at 1080). I would like to see that comparison. They are similarly priced.
As for extended warranties Consumer reports recommends them for rear projections because of need to replace bulb but not LCD or plasma.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.