TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pioneer 5070 (5071 at Best Buy)

Understand that the new 5070 50'' plasma is out or will be coming out soon (July?). Thought that I saw something at BestBuy outside of NYC (Secaucus) that claimed to be the 5071, but have not really seen anything online to confirm this. Anyone have any news on this. Checked the Pioneer site (seems to be down right now). Looks to be 1080p. About ready to buy the 5060, but would definitely wait a few weeks to get the 5070 - assuming that real differences are present. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer 5070 (5071 at Best Buy)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer 5070 (5071 at Best Buy)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GET THE 5060 OR 5061 WHILE U CAN

In reply to: Pioneer 5070 (5071 at Best Buy)

they cut quite a few corners on the 5071 and it is out in the chicago land area. it is NOT 1080p. it retails for $4500. they include two remotes with it (a very simple one and a much more complex one) and both feel very very very cheap in my hands. they got rid of the "media box" that everything plugs into which made mounting your tv and fishing cables very very easy. now, everything plugs straight into the tv. speakers are not detachable and looks quite ugly in my opinion. picture quality is decent, but there are a lot better ones out there for less money. i dont think it has cable card feature either.

i can't recommend it. i'd HIGHLY recommend the new LG plasma's and Hitachi plasma's for the price, picture quality, and features.

just my first thoughts though.

Collapse -
how about the new Elite PRO-FHD1?

In reply to: GET THE 5060 OR 5061 WHILE U CAN

Any thoughts on this? This looks impressive, but maybe $10,000...willing to pay if the difference is worth it.

The site below mentions some details on the 5070...what's up?

http://www.monitoroutlet.com/M10911.html

Which models of Hitachi or LG would you recommend?

Just called BB again. They claim that the 5071 is 720p. I thought the current 5060 is 1080i...doesn't that do the 720p as well? More than a bit confused.

Thanks.

JK

Collapse -
JKN DID YOU $10 grand

In reply to: how about the new Elite PRO-FHD1?

I hope you are not going to spend ten grand for a plasma,For that huge amount you can get a new Sony projector and 8ft electri9c screen I dont remember the model# but I saw one of these ten grand projectors on display and was blown away . looked just like 70m.m. film. There is no display on the market that looks as good as a great front projrction system. Plasma puts out a great picture. but to me it looks like a picture on the wall. I like the movie theater experience only a front projector will give you thisin closing I went with a 72" d.l.p. set which is so much cheaper , and the picture is outstanding anyway good luck and post back

Collapse -
No room for a projector

In reply to: JKN DID YOU $10 grand

TV is going in a nicely finished basement. No room for a projector or anything other than a unit that will hang on the wall. Appreciate your thoughts...keep them coming.

Really interested in learning more about the two pioneer plasmas as well as other questions above.

Thanks.

JK

Collapse -
again with the numbers

In reply to: how about the new Elite PRO-FHD1?

stop getting caught up with all the numbers out there. every non-crt tv out there has a nativ resolution. the 5060 and 5070 are natively 720p. it means no matter what signal you give it, it'll be shown on the tv as 720p. if you give it a 1080i signal, it will be converted to 720p. if you give it a 480i signal, it will be converted to 720p.

you will see little difference between 1080i and 720p on that plasma if you're watching a real HD signal on tv. some channels are broadcasted in 1080i while others are 720p...it doesnt matter.

for a 50inch plasma...1080p is kinda pointless especially when its $10,000. there are very very few things out right now that will boardcast that signal, and you will give yourself more of a headache with all the numbers and stats. pioneers are great plasma's. you wont be unhappy.

Collapse -
Anything else? HD DVD or Blu Ray?

In reply to: again with the numbers

Thinking about getting one of the above. Looks like Netflix will rent both types. What will they produce...720p, 1080i, 1080p? Do any players work better with the pioneer 5060? Thanks.

JK

Collapse -
5070 ?

In reply to: again with the numbers

Understand you points on the 5070. But, will toss the speaker (it is detachable) and I'm not too concerned about the wires in the back. Question is this...can I assume that the 5070 will provide a better picture than the 5060? It's only a few hundred more and I'm willing to wait a couple of weeks for ity to ship (although BestBuy has it now - the 5071, apparently, Pioneer gave them the early exclusive). Thanks.

JK

Collapse -
5070 cheaper than 5060

In reply to: 5070 ?

The 5070 MSRP is 4500 instead of the 4999 tage that came iwth the 5060.

PC Richard's has the 5070 for $3799, have Best Buy price match that.

Collapse -
Speakers ARE detachable

In reply to: GET THE 5060 OR 5061 WHILE U CAN

''speakers are not detachable and looks quite ugly in my opinion''

The speaker on the 5070/5071 is 100% detachable.

The media box isn't needed much when one already has an Elite receiver.

Collapse -
New Pioneer

I work in home theater at BB and just set up the 50 inch today. The 42 inch has been up for over a week. The speakers are detachable on the 50 inch, not the 42. It is a speaker bar rather than the side speakers on the 5060. I set the pioneer up next to the panasonic, and the pioneer has a better picture in my opinion. Neither of the new pioneer's come with the media receiver. The glass on the 50 inch looked great, but the 42 inch had a wavy look to it, when you looked at reflections and some pictures, you could pick it up. It kind of looks like the peel of an orange. Something to look out for. I believe the 50 inch has a cable card.

Collapse -
Pioneer 5060 vs 5070

I'm on the verge of buying one of the units. Has anyone seen a side-by-side comparison or reviews of the PDP5070?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!