TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

pioneer 42 inch playing blueray -

Greetings!
On pioneer 42 inch 720 plasma, will a blueray player playing blue ray disks look better than playing dvd disks? Can you see the difference?

Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pioneer 42 inch playing blueray -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pioneer 42 inch playing blueray -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heck yes!

In reply to: pioneer 42 inch playing blueray -

I have the 50" Pioneer 720 display (PDP-5080HD) and Bluray is amazing! It looks a thousand times better than DVD unconverted. It looks better than HD cable for crying out loud (provided you use a decent HDMI cable).

The difference is clear The only reasonable BD players on the market are the PS3 (incredible!!!) and the new PIoneer model arriving in stores soon (not ELITE, price around $500USD).

Collapse -
compared to fullHD - does 42 inch upscale to same quality?

In reply to: Heck yes!

Thank you very much for your reply.
Do you think that the upscaling of a blueray disk on a blueray player on the Pioneer 42 inch 720i would be so good that it is not necessary to purchase a pioneer 50 inch 'full HD' in order to produce the same quality of picture.

Hope that question os not to convuluted (-:

Regards
Chesschess

Collapse -
Shouldn't be that bad

In reply to: compared to fullHD - does 42 inch upscale to same quality?

While Blu-Ray looks its best at 1080p, 720i shouln't be too bad. Since the TV is HD, you should see a big difference over regular DVDs. Plus the Blu-Ray player upconverts regular DVDs to near HD quality (some up to 1080p).

Collapse -
theerfore 3 choices

In reply to: Shouldn't be that bad

Thank you very much for your reply. Its very helpful. Therefore, as I understand it, the preferences according to the picture quality criteria are:
1. 1080P tv playing BR disk or DVD disk on a BR player.
2. 720i tv playing BR disk or DVD disk on a BR player that upconverts.
3. 720i tv playing DVD disk on a DVD player

Would there be enough difference between these choices that would be noticeable? - especially between 1 and 2?
Thank you,
Chesschess

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: theerfore 3 choices

Your set is actually 720p, because all plasmas are naturally progressive scanning, having the ability to scan one entire video frame at a time (as opposed to CRTs, which take twice as long to create the same frame). So it would go like this:

1. 1080p downscaled to 720p via BD or Upconverted DVD
2. 1080i From HD Set top Box, downscaled to 720p
3. 720p from HD set top box
4. 480p from set top box progressive DVD player, upscled at TV to 720p
5. 480i from set top box, normal DVD, upscaled by TV to 720p

Please note that while the television attempts its best effort in upsclaling SD sources to HD, it will not be perfect, however the Pioneer ASIC processor in your plasma is one of the best in the affordable industry.

Between choices 1 and 2, you will note a slight difference, however it takes a trained eye to see it while casually viewing. I can personally tell the difference, but it is very subtle. I run my BD's at 1080p/24 to my 720p Pioneer and it seems to work the best out of the options.

Regards,
-N.

Collapse -
(NT) Actually, Hitachi is known for making 1080i plasmas

In reply to: Well...

Collapse -
think its going to be pioneer 50 inch 1080P

In reply to: Well...

Greetings NS!!

Thank you so much for your detailed response to my enquiry (-:

My viewing distance is 9 feet (from the screen) so I think I'm ok to consider the 50 inch Pioneer 1080P.
My wife has said its ok with her (-:
I would plan to have it for many years.

Regards
Chesschess

Collapse -
go bigger if you can

In reply to: think its going to be pioneer 50 inch 1080P

50" at 9 ft = slightly under 23 deg viewing angle

60" at 9 ft = 27.2 deg

SMPTE recommended = 30 deg, so 60" is getting pretty "warm"?

THX recommended = 36 deg

jostenmeat's HT = +40 deg, but I exclusively watch hi def, with a collection that overwhelmingly consists of smaller aspects than 16:9.

Collapse -
Wow! 60 inches

In reply to: go bigger if you can

Wow,
I never contemplated 60inches !!

Thank you very much Josh for that analysis. mmm.... don't think I'd get that one passed with my wife so enthusiastically !

Regards,
Chesschess

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.