Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Pinnacle Sys video capture card...

OK now I need to transfer my analog video form my old camcorder to my PC. So I did research and I think that Pinnacle's products are the best for this stuff.

First what is the difference between a video editing card and a video capture card?

My old camcorder has these three cables(red, yellow, white). I want to connect my cam to PC using these. Then I want to be able to capture the video just like the latest DV cams connected using Firewire.

I would like to know which would be better, a USB product or a PCI product? Which would be faster? Any advantages or disadvantages over each other?

The TV signals that I get come thru a Set Top Box which connects to my TV using those three colorful cables. So it would be great if the device could double as a tv tuner sort of thing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pinnacle Sys video capture card...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pinnacle Sys video capture card...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers...

In reply to: Pinnacle Sys video capture card...

1. No difference between them.

2. What I would do is buy a PCI card, that way it won't take up unecessary space. PCI "might" be faster just because it is hooked into the motherboard directly (not sure though). The cables are hooked into the device then you will transfer the video as if it was DV but it's not true DV transfer by IEEE1394.

Collapse -
If you want a TV tuner card that can capture and save video

on your computer, Hauppage is considered the best. That would mean that the card gets a broadcast signal from a cable or antenna, tunes the station, and displays or records the program. I looked at the WinTV-PVR-150, and found that it does include component input (those colored cables).

I don't know what a video editing board is. Video editing is done with a computer program (software), not hardware.

You can only capture 'just like' a digital camera if you go through a device that converts your analogue signal to digital. A TV card may not be the best choice for doing that. Sometimes you can use a digital video camera in pass through mode to perform that function.

Collapse -
I need something cheap and myprimary use is camcorder

In reply to: If you want a TV tuner card that can capture and save video

I will be needing something which is cheap, simple and easy to use. Maximum $100. My primary use with the device would be converting old analog video into something which my computer can use.

My set top box plugs into the TV just like you plug your DVD player into your TV, using component cables(the colorful ones). So if the device can capture video form my old cam using component cables then why can I not do the same using my set top box?

Anyways I dont want to concentrate too much on getting my TV on to my computer as it is not a priority. All I want is to get my old analog video on to my PC. Capturing TV would be good and an extra which is welcome.

Can you please suggest something cheap and I dont want unnecessary features as I dont want it to get complicated. If the speed is the same for PCI and USB, then I would prefer a USB version as I will be able to carry it around.

Collapse -
cheap, simple and easy to use. (for me)

In reply to: I need something cheap and myprimary use is camcorder

I use those ATI and Hauppauge PCI TV/Capture cards. They run from 39 to 49 bucks and include capture software.

Not cheap enough? Willing to gamble a little? (hint: I haven't but should buy this)
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AVC-1400&cat=CON

12.99 and "Convert those VHS videos and create long lasting VCD archives..."

Bob

Collapse -
component video and analog AV are VERY different.

In reply to: I need something cheap and myprimary use is camcorder

What colors are those "colorful" cables you keep referring to?

Lots of people use the Yellow-Red-White analog AV cables to connect their cable box/satellite dish/DVD player/VHS machine to their TVs.

Collapse -
Yellow red wight

In reply to: component video and analog AV are VERY different.

The colorful cables are the yellow red wight cables. What do you call them?

Collapse -
Yellow-Red-White color coding are analog AV cables

In reply to: Yellow red wight

Yellow-Red-White analog AV cables are NOT component video cables... Component video cables (that allow for component video items - like my Sony High Def HDR-HC1 camcorder to playback 1080i) are marked blue-green-orange and do not do audio.

Yellow-Red-White analog AV cables as I have previously posted are Yellow-Video; Red-Right audio; White-Left audio...

Collapse -
when a camcorder connects

>>> using FireWire, the video editing application running on the computer typically can control the camera (import, export, FF, RW, pause, stop). You don't touch the camcorder in this environment - well, maybe to turn it on and off...

>>> using this sort of (internal card or external box) there is no "digital link" from the camera - only analog. The computer does not control the camcorder. You click "import" on the computer application and press play on the camcorder.

In this analog environment, Red-Right Audio; White-Left Audio; Yellow-Video. Same as a VCR or analog signals from a satellite dish or a cable box...

I agree that a PCI card right on the motherboard *should* work best, though I have had great success with an older external FireWire-based Dazzle Hollywood (Pinnacle Systems bough them). Since you are running a Windows-based PC, you can either:

1) Get an internal PCI card-based digital-analog bridge.
2) Get an external FireWire base digital-analog bridge + a FireWire card... presuming your computer does not currently have FireWire and can handle the addition of FireWire.
3) Get a USB2 based digital-analog bridge. (not recommended)

If you go for the PCI card-based internal analog-digital card, that *could* be a "throw-away investment" if you don't keep the machine for very long. You have been telling us for a while that you want to get a Mac, so you would not re-use the internal card in the Mac - *maybe* a MacPro tower, but doubtful.

If you go for the PCI card-based FireWire card, that *could* be a "throw-away investment" if you don't keep the machine for very long. But at least the external box can be used with a Mac.

If you get the USB bridge, your PC should have USB-2. The biggest issue will be whether the video editing applications (PC or Mac) will even want to recognize the video activity on the USB port. I have not used these types of analog-digital bridges - but I have read too many issues with the compatibility and various hardware recognition issues. I can't recommend this way as a use-able option.

Your statements are confusing:

+++++

"Then I want to be able to capture the video just like the latest DV cams connected using Firewire.

I would like to know which would be better, a USB product or a PCI product"

+++++

1) Your analog camera needs an analog-digital bridge, so won't do FireWire. Though the external box might connect to the computer using FireWire, the camera connects to the box using analog.
2) But you want it to be like the latest FireWire camcorders...
3) But then you ask about USB...

Collapse -
Any video capture card will work....

In reply to: when a camcorder connects

It's just the fact that you have to try it for yourself and see if it works with your specific video editing program. That simple. So when you go to BB or CC or CompUSA, look for these cards that say Video Capture Card and try it out. If it doesn't work, take it back.

Collapse -
This type of capture usually produces an mpeg2 file.

In reply to: Any video capture card will work....

It is pretty much independent of your video editing program. Your program must, of course, be able to work with mpeg2 as an input.

Collapse -
Right..

In reply to: when a camcorder connects

My PC has a Firewire port but I dont know how to find out if it is 600 or 400 or 800.

You are right about getting a firewire box because it will be fast, will work with my Mac and I can carry it around. So I will be getting a Firewire product.

Now what I want to know is that is there a particular name given to the device that I need? You just told me it is a analog-digital bridge whereas someone told me it is a video editing card etc etc.

Can someone make a few suggestions for a good quality, cheap, simple device?

Again in short, all I want to do is transfer my analog video to my computer so that I can edit it just like people with DV cams do.

+++++
By the way Boya84, what I meant by

"Then I want to be able to capture the video just like the latest DV cams connected using Firewire."

was that I want to be able to capture video using a capture card (or whatever it is called) from my camcorder as though I had a DV cam connected to my PC using Firewire. I am not saying that Iw ant to capture using Firewire particularly. The firewire part is just an example of how people capture video.

The second line is another question that I asked and it has been given in another paragraph to seperate it from the previous paragraph/sentence.

+++++++

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.