HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Piggybacking

by a_raycraft / September 17, 2009 11:55 AM PDT

I just moved into a new apartment, conveniently located right above a Bakery that offers free wi-fi.

I'm connected at the grueling pace of 11 Mbps, and I was just wondering if there is any way that I can speed up or optimize my connection speed. I realize that the brunt of that is the responsibility of the bakery, but I'm hoping there is something that I can do.

If anyone is worried about the morals of piggybacking, the apartments within range of the bakery have received permission to use their wireless.

I use XP and am connected with a 54 Mbps medialink usb adapter. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Piggybacking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Piggybacking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
11 Mb/s is wireless B . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 17, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Piggybacking

Unless "they" upgrade to wireless G or N, you get what you get.

Besides. 11 Mb/s is faster than most ISPs.

Collapse -
Re:
by a_raycraft / September 17, 2009 2:21 PM PDT

I should mention that 11 Mbps is the measured speed, but it is much much slower. Download speed is .31 Mbps. Oof.
Thanks, anyway, I guess.

Collapse -
It's like riding public transit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

You get to crowd into some shared vehicle. There's not much you can do about it except travel at off peak hours. (just like public transit.)

When you get tired of this you get your own internet access (or car.)
Bob

Collapse -
shared wireless
by bill091 / September 17, 2009 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I assume you get the 11m number from some display on your wireless adapter.

First you have to find out how large the real connection to the internet is. It could be a 764k ie .764m DSL connection.

The issue with any wireless speed is that the speeds you see are the clock rates that the devices use to attempt to communicate at. They try to pick a rate they think will work. If yours have already slowed down to 11m then they are detecting issues running faster.

Still they never run at these rates because of interference and packet retransmissions. Basically its all about signal strength the more the less loss you get.

Your final issue is that you must share the wireless bandwidth with everyone else. Unlike wired networks wireless networks are the wild west. They do a very poor job of sharing, lots is wasted by the devices talking over each other.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.