Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

pictures loading reallllllly slow

whenever i go into a folder with more than 5 .jpgs, the whole folder slows way down. once it comes back to life, i can swithc it to show details, but at first, it always automatically shows thumbnails or filmstrip, and takes about 5-10 seconds to load the folder. During that time, i can't scroll, change the display type, or even see any files.

The rest of my computer works great, but for some reason, .jpg folders go nuts on my machine.

My machine is a Dell 8200 Dimension, with a P4 2.8Ghz and 1 GB of RAM. Nvidia FX 5200 with 128 MB video card.

So, I shouldn't be having any problems viewing 10 jpegs... Any thoughts? Also, I've run Adaware SE as well as Spybot and it hasn't helped.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pictures loading reallllllly slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pictures loading reallllllly slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: pictures loading reallllllly slow

In reply to: pictures loading reallllllly slow

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: pictures loading reallllllly slow

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with DMA, therefore, could you let me know, and explain how it pertains to my problem? I went to the website you linked to, and am a little confused.

Collapse -
Just sharing.

I'm sharing a fix I've used.

I'd try this simple fix before we cross into the drivers, pest and parasite issues.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

I'm sorry, but i still don't know what DMA is, and so I don't know how to turn it of or turn it on. Is this an easy fix for my problem??? Sorry, please help explain someone?

Collapse -
Link supplied

I supplied the Microsoft link with the step by step in my first reply. Please use it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Link supplied

In reply to: Link supplied

I appreciate you replying to my post, however, I'm asking for help and i don't feel i'm getting it. I have no idea what DMA is, and i've asked for some clarity without response.
As for your link to microsoft, i read that. it had a step by step. i followed even though i have no idea what it does, and it didn't work. my images still load slow and bog my system down when entering a folder of merely 10 jpgs. I apologized for my ignorance, and asked for clarification. If you can't give me that, then please quit responding to my post and allow someone who can or will respond the opportunity

Collapse -
DMA is a hardware function to transfer data.

In reply to: Re: Link supplied

But here's a problem. If you need a lesson to go with every setting this will take a very long time. It's a simple setting and Microsoft reveals that it may show as enabled but actually may have disabled. Please complain to Microsoft about this bug.

You're passing up a possble simple fix.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: DMA is a hardware function to transfer data.

In reply to: DMA is a hardware function to transfer data.

what simple fix am i passing up? i said that i tried it, and that it didn't work. I went to my Device Manager, and clicked on both the Primary and Secondary IDE channels. I turned DMA off, then back on. However, it didn't seem to solve the problem. I appreciate your help, and your explanation of DMA.

Collapse -
Re: DMA is a hardware function to transfer data.

In reply to: Re: DMA is a hardware function to transfer data.

Have you tried using a different program to open and view those files? Try downloading and using a free program called Irfanview. If you are able to view the photos without a delay, then it could be the file association causing the slow response. As mentioned in another post, sometimes when you install a photo editing program, it takes over making itself the default viewer.

Collapse -
DMA done. Do you have Paintshop or ACDSEE?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Xns933CB50E69993nonamenospamcom%40216.168.3.44&output=gplain notes:

"Glad I can help. I finally isolated the cause. When I reinstalled PS7, I
mistakenly choose to associate .jpg file with PS7. A HUGE mistake. After
that, all my jpeg files converted to the PS7 icon and the thumbnails
started. I finally found some mentions of it in the adobe forum. Seems this
is a fairly widespread problem with XP and PS7 and 7.01. Here's some links.
Forum registration may be required.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@46.e855a4AaHBr.2@.1de81299/0

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@46.e855a4AaHBr.2@.1de7f87c/2

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@46.e855a4AaHBr.2@.1de6aa02/0

Hope this helps other victims.

"Roy Butterfield" <roy@kaforrest.e2binternet.com> wrote in
news:059e01c2e892$507e02e0$a401280a@phx.gbl:

> MA, if you were nearby I would kiss you - even if you
> were really ugly. You've NO IDEA how this problem has
> plagued me and others. My computer supplier's only
> solution was to re-format and re-install everything from
> scratch. I've already tried your solution - one folder of
> 100 pix used to take 55 seconds to show - now it's not
> even TWO seconds!!! I know one or two guys who are going
> to be really happy in the next few minutes. May I suggest
> you broadcast this info as far and wide as you
> can, 'cause it's really important. THANKS A BUNDLE"

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=059e01c2e892%24507e02e0%24a401280a%40phx.gbl&output=gplain supplied this answer:

">-----Original Message-----
>After installing Photoshop 7.0, my Win XP Pro system
slowed to a crawl when
>opening any folders with image files. CPU utilization
went up to 90-100%
>while the file list windows slowly listed the files in
the folder. I
>suspected it had something to do with file association
since all my image
>file icons changed to the PS icon. I changed the file
association back to
>ACDSee and ACDSee would open the file even though the
icon was still the PS
>icon. Ran CHKDSK and found no problems. Uninstalled
ACDSee and reinstalled
>but still no luck. Slow performance in two different
versions of ACDSee and
>Windows explorer so I knew it was not the application
software.
>
>Finally fixed it by bringing up the property for an
image file. The was a
>new tab labled Photoshop Image. Unchecked 'Generate
Thumbnails' and all was
>fine again. Don't know if other have experienced this
problem but I'm
>posting this for others who may have this problem. My
system is very image
>intensive so that may have contributed to the problem.
>."

As to this issue, I have ZERO information why Photoshop or other image software does this. I maintain that a lot of software has bugs still.

It's just a matter of working down a list until we find it or you share a nugget that someone reads and shouts "aha!"

Happy hunting.

Bob
Collapse -
GOT IT!!! Thanks so much

In reply to: DMA done. Do you have Paintshop or ACDSEE?

Well, first thing i did this morning was right click on the jpg and there it was. I unchecked 'Generate
Thumbnails' and reloaded the folder, BANG! they all loaded so fast, just like the other computers. Folders of 200 images now take less time than folders of 10. Thanks so much Bob.

I just have one more question. I searched and searched, and didn't find anythign on the web. Where did you do your search, and what was your search term to find this solution? I appreciate your help, thank you very much.

jason

Collapse -
It's a combination of experience on the issue, then google..

In reply to: GOT IT!!! Thanks so much

I have a short mental list of what to try first. I keep some of the links on a bonepile to toss out. But the last reply was an upsize of an existing link with a search on Google Groups with words like Slow Explorer Thumbnails.

The key word you have to know is "thumbnails".

The

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.