The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Pictures - In line for a PS3 in New York

by Darayz / November 16, 2006 1:32 PM PST

Date: November 16th, 2006
Time: Midnight
Venue: Store on 56th Street and 5th Avenue, New York.
Purpose: Walking home with a Playstation 3

It's a hectic scene on 5th Avenue. The usual crowd of upscale shoppers have been replaced with scores of teenagers eagerly awaiting to get their hands on PS3's since 5pm. The estimated crowd of 200 push back and forth despite warnings from the 20 police officers patrolling the line. It's been raining since this afternoon, and the drenched crowd is growing dangerous by the hour.

By midnight, store representatives explain to the crowd of 200 that only 100 units will be available at a first-come-first serve basis. The crowd, which had been wet and aggravated for hours, are quickly turning into a violent mob. 1 person is pushed out for allegedly cutting the line and the rest are shoving and pushing to be at the front.

I think I'm at the very middle of the line and will attempt to update every now and then with my wireless laptop. I'm flanked by 2 other friends and we are forming a strategy to have 2 sleep and 1 stand on guard against a cheating mob. 7 more hours till I hopefully get my hands on a PS3 . . with no pre-order form =)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pictures - In line for a PS3 in New York
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pictures - In line for a PS3 in New York
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update: Game Over
by Darayz / November 16, 2006 7:17 PM PST

With 1 hour left before the store opening, officials decide to force the line into single file, rather than let the crowd stand in one large group. The combination of fatigue and hunger forced me from the middle to the near back of the line so it's game over for me and about 50 or so other people who waited for over 12 hours. But I still have my 2 friends in a hopeful place near the front of the line.

On the way back home, I walked by a game store with 2 guys playing chess outside. I find out that they are also waiting for the PS3 and had pre-ordered the unit weeks ago. Apparently, the store only has 2 units available which explained why there were only 2 guys waiting outside. Despite the chaos where I had waited, the scene of 2 people playing chess patiently reminded me that civility still exists.

Off to bed . .

Collapse -
(NT) When in doubt, get a Wii.
by csliva11 / November 16, 2006 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Update: Game Over
Collapse -
holly crap
by Numer0bis / November 16, 2006 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Update: Game Over

holly molly, I never would have imagined that just a gaming console could drag so much attention. Thats probabely why they won't launch the ps3 in europe until march 07 because they got just a few consoles and the trouble of getting a console would have been much worse.

Collapse -
This whole thing was crazy.
by bullardc / November 17, 2006 10:24 AM PST

Sony really messed up, you just CAN NOT put a console on the market when there are only 150,000 units. I know this is getting them a lot of press, but it's bad press about injuries and robbing. Not the publicity they want. I can tell they were desperate to beat Nintendo, but with that few units, you can barely call it a launch. All the people who couldn't get their hands on a PS3 are probably gonna go out and buy a Wii or a 360, or both. Sony needs to get their act together soon, or their whole company might fail.

Collapse -
Bad Press
by Darayz / November 17, 2006 11:15 AM PST

I never managed to get my hands on a PS3 despite waiting for nearly 12 hours. Neither did any of my friends. I spent the day watching the news of the launch, and everyone from CNN to MSNBC to FOX covered the launch as a negative event. CNN even did a piece on what kids preferred and they all wanted a Wii.

I totally agree that everyone will end up getting a 360 or the Wii. They obviously were in the market for a console so why not get the ones that are readily available. Besides, I think almost a third of them were going to sell the PS3 on ebay anyway

Collapse -
This is a bit of what happened in my area.
by RodderRodder / November 17, 2006 8:58 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?