Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Pictures gone on DVD-R

by GeoC / August 14, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

On a DVD-R I had about 100 pictures that I had burned from my digital camera. The other day I burned 17 more from my camera. This time they came up in the middle of some of the previous pictures I burned and those are gone. I thought maybe the space had run out on the DVD-R and this was what happened. But when I went to check the space left on the DVD-R there was plenty left. What could've happened to the deleted pictures?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pictures gone on DVD-R
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pictures gone on DVD-R
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch!
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2007 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Pictures gone on DVD-R

One problem is that you cannot have two files with the same filename in any one directory. The burning software should catch this and either refuse to burn or prompt you to rename the files in question, but I have seen a few cases where a burning application attempted to overwrite the files by deleting the reference to them and then burning the new ones. It sounds like that's what may have happened here. My suggestion would be to give ISOBuster a shot at recovering the files. There are plenty of alternatives, but it should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Best of luck.
John

Collapse -
Ouch
by GeoC / August 16, 2007 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch!

Thanx John. I'll try that.

Collapse -
Ouch
by GeoC / August 18, 2007 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch!

Well I downloaded ISO Buster but I didn't get anything when I typed in the file name.

Collapse -
Wait a second...
by whizkid454 / August 18, 2007 1:12 AM PDT

Once a DVD-R is already recorded on, doesn't that mean something else cannot be added after the fact?

Collapse -
Not necessarily...
by John.Wilkinson / August 18, 2007 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait a second...

Unless the DVD is 'finalized' or 'closed' you can continue to add content to the disc until the capacity is reached. (Finalization increases the ability of the disc to be read on other computers.) However, there are some burning applications that can still burn files to a disc after finalization. In addition, there are a few programs which can "erase" files burned to a CD/DVD. While the files, once burned, will forever be on the disc they can be 'hidden,' so while the space remains used it takes a recovery program to find and extract the data.

John

Collapse -
I see.
by whizkid454 / August 18, 2007 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Not necessarily...

Thanks so much for the clarification.

Collapse -
Did you find a solution?
by cbchao / September 12, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

I have a similar problem. Using Windows Vista, burned photos to a DVD-R, went back to add more files and can't find the original burned photos (although on the back of the DVD-R, it shows that there is something on the disc). Any suggestions? I will see if IsoBuster works.

Collapse -
My Fix...Don't Do Multisession Burns..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 12, 2007 7:21 AM PDT

Fill up the disc with data, then finalize/close the disc. It's much more reliable.

And if you've only got small amounts of data, burn them to a DVD-RW or CD-RW and finalize/close that disc as well.. When you want to add more, erase the disc, then rewrite to it again with all of the combined data.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ISO Buster?
by cbchao / September 12, 2007 4:33 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded ISO Buster and it did "find" my lost files in "Session 1." I now have two sessions on the DVD and can only see the files in "Session 2". However, I did not purchase the license so I can't say for sure if the program will actually recover my files from session 1.

Collapse -
Now it's pure economics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2007 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: ISO Buster?

When those files are worth that much then you can get them back.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.