Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pictures from Ghana

by Bill Osler / September 6, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

I didn't feel like assembling a web site, but there is a photo album at:
http://doctor-bill.spaces.live.com/
I have put some brief annotations on the pictures.
I also put some of the pictures up on Panoramio:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/259268/tags/Ghana
That site includes a map that shows where the pictures were taken.
Mine won't win any awards, but that is hardly the point.
Just for grins I put up two short video clips at:
http://cid-2c0b902e418e26a1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public
The catch is that even short video clips are huge and I don't know anything at all about compressing or optimizing video. I was impressed by how orderly the children were while we passed out treats at the orphanage and I was interested in how the cassava is pounded out but I'm not sure downloading the videos is worth the wait. You'll just have to take my word for it. The kids were VERY orderly, and pounding the cassava looks dangerous to me. Reaching a hand in to manipulate the ball of mash while somebody is pounding with a big piece of wood looks like an invitation to broken bones.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pictures from Ghana
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pictures from Ghana
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very cool pictures...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2008 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Pictures from Ghana

Might check out the videos tomorrow.

What was the weather like?

Collapse -
It was humid and warm ...
by Bill Osler / September 6, 2008 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Very cool pictures...

We had rain storms 2 of the days we were in kadjebi. The wet season apparently is not quite finished. The rain was impressive when it came. The nurses felt like they were swimming from building to building.

It was actually warmer here at home than it was there, but with higher humidity, poor ventilation and no air conditioning (at least in Kadjebi) it felt warmer there.

Collapse -
almost like being there, thank you!
by jonah jones / September 6, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

the 'candy' clip was reported as "unrecognised format' 'do you want to repair' using VLC player, i said yes and it plays OK -but plays OK in Media Player Classic with no problem

amazing to see the 'curtsy' as the children were given the candy

thanks again!

Collapse -
I found a better file format for the videos ...
by Bill Osler / September 7, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

The original files were AVI format, and they were huge. I've replaced those with MUCH smaller files in WMV format. I'm not sure if WMV is proprietary for Windows, though. If anybody has further problems viewing them please let me know.

Collapse -
(NT) no problems, both played OK
by jonah jones / September 7, 2008 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you for sharing! My particular comment
by Angeline Booher / September 8, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

...... is regarding the foods.

I especially noticed the one on a skewer (As I recall, Cynthia was displaying it) , and I am not sure how adventurous I would be to sample some local fare. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.