Samsung forum

General discussion

Picture,not sound, goes out

by Rhum3108 / November 24, 2008 11:35 PM PST

Have a Series 5 37" (purchased approximately 6 weeks ago) LCD Samsung that, more and more frequently, the picture goes black while the sound continues. If I turn the TV off then back on the picture reappears. This is now happening as frequently as every 5 minutes. I have keep the TV unplugged for as long as two days in hopes that it would "reboot" and fuction properly but the problem is getting worse. Bought it at Circuit City and have the extended warrenty but I am not sure that store is still in business.
What should I do next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture,not sound, goes out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture,not sound, goes out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few ideas...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 2:21 PM PST

I can't speak for the retailers, but the service plan you purchased through them came from a third-party warranty company. So even if the company does out of business (I really can't speak to that effect, so we'll leave it at that), you are still covered by the warranty.

The good news is that you're covered under Samsung's warranty for the first year, so if it requires a repair, you can get that regardless.

I would suggest downloading the latest firmware for your unit. What is your exact model number? I'll be happy to point you in the direction of that if you'd like, as that usually solves the problem.

Collapse -
Picture, not sound, goes out.
by Rhum3108 / November 27, 2008 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: A few ideas...

The Model # is: LN37A550P3FXZA.
I did change the HDMI to a component hook-up and the dropout still happens when changing chanels, but overall much less of a problem. I would be interested in downloading the update and using the HDMI again.

Thank you for the help.

Collapse -
Firmware Link
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 27, 2008 6:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Picture, not sound, goes out
by Rhum3108 / December 3, 2008 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware Link

Had tried the 1006 version and also switched to components. Still having the problem, but less frequently. Will try the older firmware version soon and see if that helps.

I will let you know.

Thank you for the help.

Collapse -
video out
by lukster5 / December 3, 2008 7:16 PM PST

there are 2 different issues that can cause this, get your extended warranty figured out and call 1-800-SAMSUNG, you will need the power supply changed or the lcd screen itself, see if there are any backlights when the video is lost, if the creen is totally black then touch it in the center, using your finger press on the ecreen firmly, don't worry you will noyt hurt it, if you get light around your finiger then you have backlights, you will need to change the lcd screen if you have backlights if not then you should change the power supply

Collapse -
re: video out
by w mark e. / December 14, 2008 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: video out

I had same problem with same TV. Since still in warranty, I submitted repair claim on samsung web site and service promptly came out and replaced screen. Prior to samsung replacing screen, I also noticed that if the tv was set to TV power save on (low, med or high) , this will also solve the problem. Samsung replaced the screen anyway, but I believe it is a fault with the power save system.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?