Samsung forum

General discussion

Picture just disappeared.

by AZ Girl / March 5, 2009 8:00 AM PST

I have a 16 month old 50" Samsung Plasma Display HP-T5054--the picture just disappeared althoogh the sound is OK. My husband disconnected the cable box and still no picture. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture just disappeared.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture just disappeared.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other inputs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 6, 2009 5:13 AM PST

AZ Girl,

Are you able to see if any other inputs work? (DVD, game console, etc.)?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Other inputs
by AZ Girl / March 6, 2009 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Other inputs?

Yes--everything else works. It has been suggested that the "master board" has gone out--not good for a 16 month old TV!!

Collapse -
Register?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 6, 2009 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Other inputs

AZ Girl,

If the other inputs work, I'm not sure why the master board would be sending the other signals.

Try hooking up the box with RGB/component cables (if you have them) and see if maybe the box reverted back. If the panel shows all of the other inputs - barring the cable box - then it may be an issue with the cable box. Often times, you can call and troubleshoot the box over the phone with your cable service provider.

Regardless, something I might suggest is registering your television online. That will give you an additioal 3 months of warranty on top of the 12, making it 15 months. After that, call 800-SAMSUNG and appeal for a slight extention to see if they will address the problem if the cable box repair/replacement doesn't work.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Picture just disappeared.
by AZ Girl / March 8, 2009 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Register?

Thank you for your suggestions and I do appreciate your reply. What has now happened is that after trying to get a tech from Best Buy--there was a three week waiting list--we got a Sears tech last Friday. He spent a long time examining the TV and was in consultation with a Samsung tech. After 45 mins of discussion they came to the conclusion that the "PDP" needs to be replaced. The cost for this part is $1200.00 !!!
With labor for installation etc. the final repair bill comes to $1,546.46. For a television which cost $1600 just 16 months ago this is not feasible. When we bought this TV we did all our homework with Consumer Reports and Samsung was highly rated. Obviously it will not get high ratings from us. I know that we live in a disposible society but this is ludicrous.

Collapse -
Last effort...?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 17, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

AZ Girl,

I might try calling 800-SAMSUNG to see if you can get that month extention on your warranty - ask for the Executive Consumer Relations Department. I don't know if it's something that they will do, but it's worth asking. Best Buy and Sears repair centers are outside sources, but what I was suggesting was to see if Samsung would cover the cost of the repair.

Like I said, it's out of warranty, but it can't hurt to try - especially if they'd fix it for free, or at a significant reduction.

I appreciate your situation, and I'm just offering a suggestion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Last effort
by AZ Girl / March 17, 2009 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Last effort...?

Thank you HD Tech--I have been so busy at work that I have not had time to call but will do tomorrow. Thanks for your supprt and advice--I will let you know if I get anywhere with this. If Samsung wants to be honorable??--they should help me out. Otherwise I have no options at this price.

Collapse -
last effort.
by AZ Girl / March 20, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Last effort

I followed your suggestion and talked to Executive Customer Relations. A charming woman listened to my plight and said that she would get back to me shortly to tell me what they could do to help--step 1--easy and relatively quick. We will see what step 2 is when she gets back to me.

Many thanks for the suggestion to call.

Collapse -
No problem...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 22, 2009 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: last effort.

AZ Girl,

Keep me posted and let me know how it goes. Also, keep that service ticket number handy.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung problem resolved-warranty extended.
by AZ Girl / April 18, 2009 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem...

Samsung have turned up trumps!! They extended the warranty on our 50" HDTV when the picture went out. They arranged for a company to come and pick it up and it was returned a week later. Absolutely no charge. It turns out the problem wasn't as bad as diagnosed by the Sears technician. We had been very depressed as we were 4 months out of warranty but thanks to your suggestion we called and they agreed to extend it. To tell you the truth I hadn't rushed to call Samsung as I thought there was no hope of a positive response--but was thrilled that they did. Samsung has a big thumbs up from us.

Many many thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 19, 2009 6:17 PM PDT

AZ Girl,

Hey, that's great news! Happy

Glad to hear it worked out. Did they mention what the problem was?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by AZ Girl / April 19, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

They said that they replaced three boards but not the PDP board. However I just found out yesterday that the VCR (I rarely use it) won't work so I don't know if that is the TV or VCR. Life is full of little trials!!

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
no picture but sound
by eecho789 / May 28, 2010 2:59 AM PDT

Thought Id put this in here for people looking to repair this issue. 90% of the time it's a y buffer that goes out. It's usually the top buffer. 3/4 or more of the time the buffer takes out the y main board too. You cannot just replace the y-main or buffer because it will just burn out the other within seconds if one is bad. Also about 1/4 of the time it'll take out the top transformer on the power supply too. The solution? First disconnect the power to the y main board. turn on the television and check the voltages coming off of it. Careful it's high voltage 208V! Remember it's DC too. Then disconnect the buffers from the y main board. You can try powering the y-main up to see if the little LED lights up. This does not indicate it's working though but it'll tell you if it is possible to fix. The fixes for these boards is only for electronics guys. It usually involves replacing 1-3 capacitors and 1-4 FET's. Since a bad buffer can take out a good y main in seconds it's usually recommended that one replace all 3 boards at the same time. It's a $250 fix. How do I know all this? I've now repaired 5 of these televisions. I owned one and spent close to 600 repairing it. I bought misc parts and broken sets online for months before I had 2 different repair guys walk me through the process of repairing them. I had so much cash tied up in parts that I bought 3 more dead sets and repaired them to justify all my spending. I've never had an x board fail. I've had EVERY top buffer fail. I've had all but 1 y-mains fail. And only 1 lower buffer fail. I've also had the y buffer fry it's top chip, blow a capacitor and FET on the y-main, and fry the top transformer on the power supply before my eyes. It only took 5 seconds. Replacement of the 3 y boards will almost always fix the sound but no picture problem. Cost for all 3? $250. Avoid used. If one board is bad it could burn out any good parts you have. Thats why the 3 boards come in kits. Check out New Zeland and England where these sets are much more common. Hope this helps!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?