General discussion

Picture Issue on my Samsung Television/Blu-Ray

Hello,

I recently purchased a Samsung UE55C6540SK 55" LED TV, aswell as the Samsung HT-C5530 blu-ray home cinema system. I have it connected to a SkyHD+ Box and an XBOX360.

The problem is when I watch Blu-rays and very infrequently Sky HD Channels, the picture will sometimes jerk/jump/skip much more frequently on Blu-rays (every few minutes on Blu-Rays - Its happened a lot on every blu-ray I have watched). The television software is up-to-date and I have updated the Blu-ray firmware. I have checked all the connections and I am using Monster Cables which I was told in the shop I purchased it from were the best kind.

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards
John H.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Picture Issue on my Samsung Television/Blu-Ray
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Picture Issue on my Samsung Television/Blu-Ray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Picture Issue on my Samsung Television/Blu-Ray

battlekj,

Try turning the AutoMotion Plus setting to OFF or a different setting to see if that improves the symptom you're describing. When you say skip, do you mean the picture itself seems to skip, or the screen goes black?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
re

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

Its hard to describe not knowing the correct terminology for it, but basically the picture sort of freezes for like a very very brief period, milliseconds, and then jumps ahead... so you get a jolt in the picture every so often. It doesnt go black.

Will try tinker with some settings, although I am not sure what many of them are.

- Collapse -
very interesting.....

in response to your problem with the jumping....I just recently purchased a samsung un55c7000 3D LED/LCD and I have been having the same problems! Only on certain channels though. i.e. TLC HD and TBS HD and I think ESPNEWS HD does it also, just not as frequently. Please tell me its not my brand new TV...just paid 3,000 for something that doesnt even work properly?!?! I have directv scheduled to come out ASAP!

and I have the same directv receiver upstairs on a lowerg grade samsung HD tv and there is no problem. PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY!

- Collapse -
re:

Hello.

LED MotionPlus was turned Off so I turned it on, it didnt fix the problem. On Picture Options I see another Motion Plus setting, should I try these settings also? (Smooth, Standard, Clear, Custom?)

- Collapse -
re:

battlekj,

You could. To turn the additional processing off, choose AutoMotion Plus OFF to see if that fixes the issue.

Unfortunately, some imperfections may exist if the signal is broadcast with a compressed signal. Broadcasters can do that, so if this is just happening on some channels, that may be the issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
mine worked!

I read this yesterday and went home from work (after calling the directv guy) and changed the automotion plus setting to "clear" and it fixed the problem! "clear" or "off" worked. but I chose clear because i didnt want to turn some of the features of the tv off. and yes, its in picture settings > scroll down til you see automtion plus 240hz > there are several options you listed, choose "off" or "clear" and it should help.

THANKS for all of your help guys!!!! The Directv guy would have never been able to fix it!! So from all the way down here in Alabama...THANKS YA'LL!

- Collapse -
re:

Yup, Setting it to Clear works here aswell. Thanks very much from here in Yorkshire, England!

- Collapse -
re:

battlekj,

Glad to hear it worked out for both of you.

I'll be adding the Clear option to the list of potential options to try with this symptom. Thanks for posting back and sharing your success.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
motion plus "clear" setting not good enough.

hi guys, i have just recently bought a samsung UE46C6500 and have noticed the problem youve been mentioning. every few minutes the picture jerks esp on bluray dvds. i agree that setting the motion plus to "clear" stops this from happening but as far as i can see all this setting does is turns the motion plus off and on panning scenes it is quite obvious that the picture is no where near as smooth. if i had only spent a couple of hundred

- Collapse -
Solution #2

Turn the MPEG Noise Filter off. That solved the blurry motion issue, which was occuring every few seconds, for me and might resolve any image issue you might encounter during DVD/Blu-ray playback as well.

- Collapse -
Picture Issues with my Samsung tv & blu ray player

I too am having problems with the picture. I have just bought a 6100 samsung blu ray player and a samsung 40" 6030 3d tv. The tv plays fine until i put a dvd in my blu ray player then the picture will go off the screen for a second or two but you can still hear the sound. It does this on blu ray discs, dvd's & 3d discs also on discs that i have copied from my tv.I have returned my blu ray player thinking it was a fault with my player only for a new player to have the same problems.My son has the same blu ray player but a lg tv ,so i took my discs down to his home and they all played perfectly. He brought his blu ray player & hdmi cable to my home but again the discs did not work on my tv . I have replaced my new tv and again i am still having the same problem.I have called an engineer out and he updated the firmware in both the blu ray and tv and still the i keep losing the picture on my discs.Is there anything else i can try.
Many Thanks.
Jim.G

- Collapse -
Re: Picture Issues with my Samsung tv & blu ray player

kwhites,

Very interesting, perplexing problem. Could you please round out my understanding of your setup? What's the complete model code for your TV and Blu-ray player? How are they connected (HDMI, etc.)? Do you have any other devices connected? How are they connected to the TV?

Hopefully we can get this figured out for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

- Collapse -
Same issue!

I have the exact same issue with the exact same products as kwhites!

Both the tv and blu ray have been exchanged and the problem continues. We have had the products for a mere 7 days and have never been able to watch a film! ( good old trusty £15 goodmans DVD player is the stand in!)

It has baffled two engineers from Samsung who came out and were (incorrectly) adamant it was the hdmi port on the tv. Our last resort is "upgrading" our hdmi cables (currently using hitachi 1.4 hdmi cables) in the hope that our money hasn't been completely wasted on something that doesn't do what it is supposed to!

I sincerely hope that someone can work this out as my faith in "reliable" Samsung products is fast reducing... And comet are getting fed up of us returning items that appear to have no issues!

- Collapse -
Re: Same Issue!

Hey S4R4H,

Could you look at my response below to kwhites and let me know which troubleshooting steps you've tried? Also, what are your models; are they also UE40EH6030 and BD-E6100?

HD Tech

- Collapse -
Picture Issues with my Samsung tv & blu ray player

Thanks for getting back. My complete tv model number is Samsung UE40EH6030 3d LED Backlit Tv & my Blu Ray player model number is Samsung BD-E6100 3d blu ray player. The blu ray player is connected to tv via hdmi cable, after contacting Samsung, i was told i needed a 1.4 hdmi cable and that would do the trick. i went to comet (where i got the tv from) bought a 1.4 cable for nearly £40 but this made no difference, i bought another 1.4 cable for £8 of ebay and again this did not do the trick. I have a sky box and a vcr connected to the tv, using another hdmi cable & scart lead and have no picture problems with these.In my previous post i forgot to say that the engineer took my tv & dvds away and put in a new panel as he too did not know what was wrong with the tv and when he returned he said that the dvds worked perfectly like at my son's on a 2d blu ray player and all he said was it was a clash of the 2d & 3d pictures and the tv was finding it difficult to read the 3d picture. So i am no better off.

- Collapse -
Re: Picture Issues with my Samsung tv & blu ray player

Kwhites,

OK, just so you know, I don't officially provide support for UK products, since I only have information on US products. However, you've given me a lot of info already, so I'll give my best guess. Let me recap what I know:

Products: UE40EH6030 and BD-E6100
Problem: The TV works fine until you try to play a DVD or Blu-ray disc in your Blu-ray player; then the picture will go off the screen for a second or two but you can still hear the sound. (I assume the picture never comes back.) Your Skybox and VCR don't have these problems.

Troubleshooting
- Both the Blu-ray player and TV have the most recent firmware
- All the discs play on your son's Blu-ray player and TV (model and brand unclear)
- You've made sure you're using 1.4 HDMI cables (2 different ones)
- You've tried more than one player on tyour TV, exchanging the Blu-ray player for the same model and trying your son's model (different brand or model?)
- You replaced your TV (same model?), and you're having the same problem.

You added: "In my previous post i forgot to say that the engineer took my tv & dvds [Blu-ray player?] away and put in a new panel as he too did not know what was wrong with the tv and when he returned he said that the dvds worked perfectly like at my son's on a 2d blu ray player and all he said was it was a clash of the 2d & 3d pictures and the tv was finding it difficult to read the 3d picture."

So he replaced the panel on your TV, and something works now (I think), but what is it?

Also, did I miss anything in my recap?

HD Tech

- Collapse -
Problem sorted...

Thanks for the reply.
Scarily, yes we had the exact same items and were suffering the exact same issue (unable to watch DVD/blu ray because of skipping and when on the Internet it lost signal) we had engineers out who though it was the hdmi ports, both the tv and the blu ray player were swapped (same models) and the cables were upgraded. The problem persisted.

Today we went into comet (where we bought it) and they got so fed up, they changed the blu ray for a Panasonic 3d blu ray... It works perfect!!!!

I think it was just a bit of bad luck that these two individually good items, don't seem to be very compatible!

Being very persistent with comet who didn't believe this was happening has resulted in handing back the Samsung blu ray for the Panasonic equivalent!

- Collapse -
Just purchased

I have the Samsung UE32D6530 and I have noticed the jerking with my Panasonic blu-ray player, TV signal seems fine. I have treid all combinations of settings with the motion blur, motion plus on/off, custom settings etc.

It seems like this is a common issue, can I have any additional advise please

- Collapse -
Freezing on my Samsung TV

Hallo!
I have Samsung UN55C7000 3d tv. Up to last December I had Dish Network Box connected through HDMI cable to. Everything was going great. This year I changed my tv provider to Comcast and I have some problems. When I connect Cable box (digital or HD I tried both) my Samsung video apps are freezing. Movies from my PC connected through network cable are freezing too. It's really often showing the message "Preparing to play". As soon I disconnect coaxial cable from outlet or the box, everything going smooth again. Comcast Tech. said that it's some returning voltage from tv when cables are connected. I thought it was because of coaxial cable but I changed digital box to HD one with HDMI cable and it didn't solve my problem. Samsung Customer Service said it is Comcast issue, but why I have problems with movies from PC connected through network cable. It looks like tv cannot handle that many signals (BD player, TV, PlayStation, network, PC). Any ideas what is really wrong and if I can solve that problem?
Thanks

CNET Forums