TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Picture distortion/stretching on Sony KDF-55XS955

by thekccubby / December 1, 2004 1:09 AM PST

I am brand new to HDTV or widescreens in general. I just bought a Sony KDF-55XS955 and love it, but I am having trouble mastering what format to view things in.

Naively, I assumed that they TV would know how to format things.

I have a high def (1080?) DVD player and it seems that no matter what viewing mode (normal, full, wide, zoom) that I use that the screen is somewhat stretched. I have tried several DVDs including Lord of the Rings, Finding Nemo, the West Wing and many others.

Is there a solution to this? If I lower the resolution I can go into normal viewing and do not get the distortion but then I lose my high def.

Am I just expecting something that I cannot get from an HDTV?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture distortion/stretching on Sony KDF-55XS955
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture distortion/stretching on Sony KDF-55XS955
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Picture distortion/stretching on Sony KDF-55XS955
by THE_PUMA / December 1, 2004 2:16 AM PST

The problem is aspect ratios. Your DVD player outputs a 480p signal at a 16:9 aspect ratio (width x height) that equals (16/9) 1.78 to 1. Movies are filmed in many ratios none of them are 1.78 to 1 most are slightly wider. So if your set your TV to normal you will have black bars on the top and bottom of your screen that vary in size depening on what ratio the movie was filmed, in full mode the content will be stetched vertically to fill the screen and in zoom the sides of the image will be cropped and the content blown up to fill the screen without distortion. I prefer the normal image with the bars, you get used to it. Examples can be found (athough they are with a 4:3 image just apply the same principal vertically) on page 66 of your manual.

Hope that helped.

Collapse -
This link might help too
by THE_PUMA / December 1, 2004 2:45 AM PST

Saw this in another post same subject

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

Collapse -
by mdj / December 1, 2004 8:41 PM PST

I just got the TV as well/ I do love it but do notice a slight blurring in face area on certain channels is that the cable signal from that channel or the TV trying to make picture clearer??? Do notice it in the wide zoom mode and full mode?? Was wondering if anyone has noticed it on theirs?? Also under Video menu (page 97) under BN smoother i did notice that i cannot access the clear white, detail enhancer , white balance etc. They are dimmed out. Are they dimmed out on yours and why is it not accessable?? Sorry i veered off the subject

Collapse -
by THE_PUMA / December 1, 2004 9:16 PM PST

That fuction is not available while watching a 480p 720p or 1080i source. If your setting it up for watching DVD try setting your DVD to send 480i (your DVD player just converts it to 480p anyway) and see if you can get a better picture letting the TV do the conversion and tweeking the settings to your preference. If your watching a normal TV broadcast then those options should not be unavailable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?