HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pico Projectors - Almost there (AAXA P2 pico projector)

by pbear123 / October 8, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

I just wanted to comment about CNET and other reviews regarding the recent craze in Pico / Micro Projectors. 2 years ago when Microvision first announced their pico projector I knew I had to have one. Finally Cnet - my trusted site for unbiased reviews started to discuss various pico projectors such as the Optoma or 3M I was almost ready to buy one. Earlier this year I pulled the trigger on an Optoma pico projector. It's rated at 480x320 resolution and 10 lumens. Cost me $350. Could I use this for presentations? No. Could I use this for anything but watching videos in complete darkness? Not really. Returned it.

Then recently I purchased the AAXA P1 micro projector which was a lot cheaper, $200, had 12 lumens and 640x480. Admittedly the brightness was marginally better, but anything other than pure darkness I couldn't get the image quality I wanted. Hooking it up to my laptop was a challenge and the image remained fuzzy at 640x480. My son now has it hooked up to his Archos and seems to like it - realistically it's just a toy.

Finally 2 weeks ago I received my AAXA P2 micro projector. It's rated at 800x600 and has 33 lumens. Not expecting much I was pleasantly surprised that this projector is somewhat usable with lights on. I've learned the key is to get the image behind the lights - in other words not directly underneath any lighting. With this setup I can actually make out images with the lights on and it's even acceptable with a projection screen. With the lights off but a lot of daylight coming into the room the resolution / picture quality came out surprisingly very good even on just a blank wall. I did a 12 person presentation with excel spread sheets this week. Needless to say I'm impressed - the pico projectors are getting there (almost).

In summary the AAXA P2 still can't really be used in a professional setting with lights on unless your meeting is willing to huddle against the wall unless you have a high grade projection screen. Lights off it works pretty well. For the size it's definitely good.

Is it ready for prime time yet? Only if you know for certain you can control the lighting and there will not be a lot of people in the meeting. If unknown then no it is not - I still bring out my Infocus 2500 lumen (bulky) projector.

But at least I think it's almost there...

Here's some pictures:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2456/3993989948_da0c2e7196.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2666/3993990366_55f154a82d.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pico Projectors - Almost there (AAXA P2 pico projector)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pico Projectors - Almost there (AAXA P2 pico projector)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
continued
by pbear123 / October 8, 2009 6:48 AM PDT

Accidently hit submit without finishing,,.

My point was don't get tricked by the marketing ploys. 33 lumens is miniscule compared to your standard business projector (1000-3000 lumens). Don't expect to walk into a meeting room and throw down big, bright, colorful presentations - just like in grade school, if you want to watch a film you have to turn off or at least dim the lights.

JR

Collapse -
Those Pico are fastly...
by givemeaname / October 8, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

Becoming usefull tools and cool toys. Just a year ago they where mostly useless and very limited, in 3 years Pico's will be in most cellphones, at lease the cool ones. Now if they can just the brightness up and HD also, they would sell like crazy.

I am looking forword to get the new Macrovision Laser SHOW WX (WVGA):

http://www.microvision.com/showwx/index.html

Collapse -
Microvision Show
by pbear123 / October 23, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

Uh you didn't read my thread did you? The Microvision Show VX has 10 lumens. That is totally unusuable for presentations... 33 Lumens is barely acceptable for presentations, I would not subject my clients to 10 lumens they are all going to send you a bill from the eyedoctor...

Collapse -
It will used as a toy...
by givemeaname / October 24, 2009 6:15 AM PDT

For my ipod touch and notebook it a total dark room, sometimes outside at night when I am using my telescope, it is very dark where I live.

Collapse -
P2 rental
by P2seeker / October 23, 2009 9:18 AM PDT

Hey,
I work for a television show in Los Angeles, Ca. We are currently in desperate need of the AAXA P2 projector. It is on back order currently for the next 3 weeks through AAXA. If you would be willing to rent yours out to us for four days in the month of November we would be more than happy to negotiate compensation. Thank you.

Collapse -
Another review
by gatewayblock / October 27, 2009 2:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
aaxa pico projector
by reigndear / February 19, 2010 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Another review

I once hated these pico and micro projectors also, but after borrowing my friends for a few weeks they are definitely starting to grow on me. There's something about having a projector that fits inside a pocket that just somehow makes itself useful in different circumstances!

Collapse -
Terrible experience
by kenveron / May 28, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

My Aaxa P2 Experience

Product was poorly manufactured, did not live up to advertised specs, and on board video processing was defective. I bought directly from Aaxa. There is a 20% restocking fee that is not completely disclosed on site. It cost me $100 to find out that this product is fraudulent in its advertised specs, and when I finally got in contact with Aaxa, it became clear that the company could care less about customer service and satisfaction. Truly an example of epic fail on behalf of the product and a company that should stand behind their product. Although I strongly do not recommend the product, purchase from Amazon. It is a sad day when a third party broker is more committed to customer satisfaction. Epic fail on all aspects of good business.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.