Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Physics and war

by Willy / September 24, 2014 2:22 AM PDT

Well,everything in life is about physics if you want to look at it that way. In war you pretty much want controlled or desired physics to being working for you. Here is an example when Mother Nature own physics gets in the way.

http://phys.org/news/2014-09-space-aided-enemy-fatal-afghan.html

Let's not forget the classic, "crap rolls downhill" physics that is taught on day 1 of boot camp. ------Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Physics and war
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Physics and war
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is learned on the first day of your first job.
by Diana Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Physics and war

We have to worry about what the sun is producing with our electronics. Now we have to worry about space bubbles?

Diana

Collapse -
Interesting. But [personified] Physics would
by drpruner / September 24, 2014 10:12 AM PDT

have written the headline, 'Localized plasma bubbles may have affected human efforts'
Physics has no enemies, or friends.
BTW "everything in life is about physics if you want to look at it that way" is a good paraphrase of Richard Feynman's view.

Collapse -
(NT) Talk about an inspirational figure, Dr. Richard Feynman !
by Rob_Boyter / September 24, 2014 7:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
... who is now part of the universe.
by drpruner / September 26, 2014 6:28 AM PDT

As he predicted.

Collapse -
BTW I highly recommend
by drpruner / September 26, 2014 6:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Amazing, and it explains a lot, especially to the military
by Rob_Boyter / September 24, 2014 7:31 PM PDT

folks here who have long suffered from the vicissitudes of radio reception.

In 1944, the radios issued to the British 1st Paratroop Regiment who went into Arnhem went silent the moment they landed. They then just as suddenly began to work a week later, but too late to make any difference, and all were either killed wounded or captured by that implacable Nazi Walter Modell, who committed suicide in April 1945 rather than live without his beloved Fuhrer. Sadly he might have saved much trouble if he'd moved up his schedule a decade and offed himself in 1934.

Rob

Collapse -
Voice detection
by ChromeFan / October 4, 2014 10:38 PM PDT

... is now being used to detect the voice of Jihadi John in Syria. I've read that these thingies are able to detect (and distinguish) particular voice even from a thousand feet bellow (or something like that). I just hope they succeed in this! But, I'm afraid it will likely end up like this story suggests Sad - http://artificial-intelligence.com/comic/17

OK, I believe that the US military has a bit more advance technique than I'm aware of. Still, I find it hard to believe that something like this is even theoretically possible.

Collapse -
That's why I always wear
by drpruner / October 6, 2014 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Voice detection

nose glasses when posting on SE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?