The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Physical or Download Music

by brianooomac / February 5, 2008 11:28 AM PST

What type of music do you prefer whether it be CDs, Vinyl, Downloads subcribtion, or even radio? And if you prefer physical media then what do you think is a good idea to keep the concept alive and well?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Physical or Download Music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Physical or Download Music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
it depends
by ktreb / February 5, 2008 1:02 PM PST

For my long-time favorite artists (been following 10-20 years), I go with CDs. I enjoy hearing their albums as a whole. Otherwise, I go with downloads so I don't have to commit to the expense of a whole album. These songs are more "disposeable" to me and if I lose them through system crashes (I do back up) or unsupported DRM (such as the March 31st end for Sony Connect songs) I won't feel such a great loss.

I've been buying CDs for nearly 25 years and while my collection numbers in the thousands, at least half of it is crap that I was forced to buy in order to get the one or two songs I really wanted. So, how to keep the concept alive and well? Better overall albums with little filler crap.

Collapse -
Well....
by Nicholas Buenk / February 5, 2008 11:45 PM PST

CD's have advantages, no need to backup..... no compression...
But I never listen to them any more I always rip them... And they take too long to get to you if you order them.
I mostly stick to downloaded music.

Collapse -
Download
by n74jw / February 6, 2008 2:02 AM PST

The convenience is just much better than going to a music store. Even the Mom & Pop music stores don't compare as well. The live previews and the ease of use works for me.

Collapse -
Download only
by PuT6hpcu2Xh3f / February 6, 2008 2:15 AM PST

I write a music blog and download about 25 albums a month. I just don't have the space to store that many CDs (let alone vinyl). I only by a CD if I can't find it at a DRM-free online service.

Collapse -
Long Live CDs!!
by skellener / February 6, 2008 6:10 AM PST

I still by CDs. Sure when there's one measly track I like from an artist I will head over to Amazon or iTunes. But I really prefer buying CDs for bands I really like. Many times I find CDs in the used bins even cheaper than a digital download. I like owning the physical media. I like lending CDs to friends. I like having a built-in back-up (I rip the music to my drive/iPod and the CD is the back up!). I like being able to rip to whatever format I want. Ipods won't be around forever. I like that CDs are DRM free.I like being able to sell it back to the used CD store if I want. As long as they keep making CDs, I will always buy them.

Collapse -
Physical or Download Music
by wizkids32 / February 6, 2008 6:31 AM PST

I download Music from itunes and Amazon.com both I don't buy CD's any more.

Collapse -
The Cheapest
by Renegade Knight / February 7, 2008 4:06 AM PST

Digital suffers from "You can't transfer or modify this file" so it's disposable. Plus I like the orginal album art. If I buy a compolation CD I'd rather see the orignal art over someones cheese "best of the hard rock" art. If I want a single though it's a lot better than buying the CD.

However where I can I buy the CD. If I get sick of it I can give it to someone who likes it. I can also modify the file, or update my format when MP3 gives way to whatever is next. Physical media that you can convirt to digital is the best for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?