HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Physical Memory Useage history

by pgs12345 / October 6, 2010 6:16 AM PDT

I really hope some kind person can help me with this problem. i'm a real novice,
I have a problem about high (i think) pysical memory useage....
i have checked forums here and elsewhere to no avail

I'm running
an Acer Aspire 5630 centrino duo.

right now i'm only running Firefox. No mail program open etc. the Task Manager says i have 84 processes runnin. CPU is at about 6% to 9% and PM is a very constant 83%. when i start up, the PM useage is higher at around 90%.

i can't seem to PrintScreen my Task Manager window into this box. i'm happy to copy in whatever info is needed - just tell me how, please.

When i click on the Processes tab in Task Manager it shows Firefox using upwards of 90,000K. Windows explorer and Acer Empowering Frameworks are at around 12,000K.

really hope someone can help me!

pgs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Physical Memory Useage history
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Physical Memory Useage history
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks about right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 6:24 AM PDT

My Seamonkey browser is about 93 megabytes so at 90,000K I don't see what the issue is here.

Let's tackled this another way. What issue is there to solve today? Ib my opinion the numbers you supplied look average.
Bob

Collapse -
more information
by pgs12345 / October 6, 2010 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks about right.

thanks for the reply

the problem is speed - or rather lack of it

when the computer's running as per above, the speed is terribly slow. trying to open a an internet browser window is virtually impossible ("not responsing"). opening email is a no no.

Collapse -
My brother has a similar Acer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: more information

I don't have the exact model but it's in the 5700 range of numbers.

It has 3GB RAM, Vista and is ok for speed with its centrino duo. It can with 1GB and was painfully slow. That's no bug. It was just not enough RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) How much RAM does your system have ?
by VAPCMD / October 6, 2010 9:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
ram
by pgs12345 / October 7, 2010 7:19 AM PDT

hi thanks for the two recent posts

i don't know how to get that information ... if you can tell me how to access the info, i'll post it.

i just want to emphasise that the computer has always been fine for speed. it's a reasonably recent thing.

Collapse -
In Windows 7 Task Manager I see 'Physical Memory'
by VAPCMD / October 7, 2010 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: ram

listed under the "Performance' tab.

Have you run your anti-virus and malware scans ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Performance information
by pgs12345 / October 11, 2010 4:43 AM PDT

Thank you.

Under Physical Memory states
total 1021
cached 356 (this moves around
free 0

under kernel memory states
total 127
paged 83
nonpaged 44

i really need some advice please...

yes i run avast and windows defender

Collapse -
Your machine has 1GB RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2010 5:24 AM PDT

Vista should be very slow and 7 might be slightly better. My brother's Acer came with 1GB RAM, Vista and it was not that fun to use until we bumped the RAM to 3GB.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.