Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Physical Memory Dump

by popasmurf / October 17, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

I am running Win XP Home. My problem is that if I dont use the laptop for awhile I get the following message :-
STOP: 0c000000F4(0x00000003,0x8210F5c8,0x8210F73c,0x805F9F88)
BEGINNING PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP
DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY TO DISK
Then a Second timer starts to count the seconds and then the laptop reboots itself.
Nay ideas please?. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Physical Memory Dump
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Physical Memory Dump
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something crashed...
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Physical Memory Dump

Unfortunately that's the shortened explanation of what happened. The STOP code you gave means that a process critical to the running of Windows crashed and as a result Windows could not continue to function properly. The memory dump, in turn, means that everything that was stored in RAM was saved to a file on your hard drive for analysis, but that doesn't do the user any good since you have no way of deciphering what it means.

The best you can do is start up Windows again and hope it was a random glitch. If the problem continues I'd scan for malware and disable any unnecessary startup items, taking notes of what software you were running at the time to see if there is a pattern. If you continue to receive random crashes like that with varying STOP codes and you cannot link it to malware or running software then I'd start looking at a possible hardware (mainly RAM or motherboard) issue.

John

Collapse -
Something crashed
by popasmurf / October 18, 2006 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Something crashed...

It has happened several times. I am inclined to think it maybe the Ram module playing up.
Further info :-
P4 512ram 60gig h/drive.
No new hardware or software had been added before it started crashing.Thanks fot all your help every body.

Collapse -
To test the RAM...
by John.Wilkinson / October 18, 2006 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Something crashed

You can run a program such as memtest86. Usually when the RAM goes you'd receive a variety of BSODs, not just a particular one though.

John

Collapse -
What do you mean by...
by Papa Echo / October 17, 2006 9:57 PM PDT

"... don't use the laptop for a while..." ? Do you mean you leave it at idle ? For how long ? Or do you mean you have not booted it up ...for how long ?

Collapse -
Memory Dump
by popasmurf / October 18, 2006 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean by...

Hi I mea when I leave it booted up and stop for lunch/dinner approx 25/30 mins

Collapse -
Perhaps we can narrow this down?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory Dump

Do you mean when you recall it from hibernate, standby, or just from the screen saver?

Does the system crash at any other time, eg when using applications?

If it is when returning from a screen saver, what would happen if you changed to a different screen saver?

If hibernate or standby, what happens if you disable those functions?

Mark

Collapse -
Also......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 7:06 AM PDT

what is this "seconds timer"? Is it a window being displayed on the desktop? If so, what application is displaying it?

Mark

Collapse -
I would imagine what is meant . . .
by phantazy / October 18, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Also......

When the blue screen 'Dump of Physical Memory', appears with the error code, there is a count in seconds from 1-100, normally.

Collapse -
perhaps
by popasmurf / October 19, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

No none of them.It happens when the desktop is running,if you dont use the laptop for about 15/20 mins.

Collapse -
memory dump
by popasmurf / October 19, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: perhaps

I have just fitted a new 512meg meomory chip,but I am still getting the same message.For info it is not the 'Blue Screen ',but a whole page of text that comes up,the few lines with the above error message.

Collapse -
Didi you take the MemTest
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: memory dump
Collapse -
Memtest
by popasmurf / October 19, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

I have tried dowloading memtest,but nothing appears to happen?.

Collapse -
Memtest
by popasmurf / October 19, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Memtest

I have managed to create a bootable CD with memtest86.I will try it in my laptop and see what results I get.
Thanks everone for all you advice.

Collapse -
Boot Disk
by popasmurf / October 19, 2006 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Memtest

Boot disk failed to boot. Will try to dowload it again.

Collapse -
Memory Dump
by Stan Chambers / October 20, 2006 1:09 AM PDT

I'm not sure if this is the same problem as I had, but it's very similar. I don't the recall what the stop error was. I went to the bios and disabled memory caching and it solved the problem for me.
Hope this will help.
Best of luck

Collapse -
Memory Dump
by popasmurf / October 20, 2006 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory Dump

Hi I will give that a try.Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.