Computer Help forum

General discussion

Physical Memory

While attempting to run a free dowloed of Adaware, I was told I didn't have enough Physical Memory to support it (256 MB). How do I find out how much memory I have, and is there a way to free up memory?

System info: Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002 (5.1.2600)
Service Pack 3

Compaq Presario SR161ONX
version
224 MB of RAM
Memory capacity 2.00 GB
256 MB installed Memory
256 MB memory slot 1
Hard drive has 47.39 GB free

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+
Version: x86 Family 15 model 47 stepping 2
984 MHz, 224 MB of RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Physical Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Physical Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Physical Memory...No..you just don't have enough RAM

In reply to: Physical Memory

in your system to begin with.

You have a decent PC.. but not nearly enough physical RAM to make is run efficiently like it could or should. It's like having a race car with an eight cylinder engine with spark plug wires running to four of the eight cylinders

Your system would run much much much better if you purchased and installed one of these kits with 2 DIMMs at 512MBs (1GB total $46) or 2DIMMs at 1GB (2GB total-$72).

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario%20SR1610NX

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Kits???

In reply to: Physical Memory...No..you just don't have enough RAM

Thanks for the help. Is this something I can buy at an electronics store, or perhaps the "Geek Squad" would know about at Best Buy, or will I have to special order it from the site you've provided? Obviously I'm not too computer saavy, so I do appreciate your help.

Collapse -
If you're reasonably handy ...adding RAM to as desktop PC

In reply to: Kits???

is pretty easy. Dell has pretty good DOCs on 'How to' do things re their PCs and Crucial is a reliable mail order source that provides quality RAM, guarantees compatibility and provides support.

If not, then by all means take the CPU to BB... buy the RAM and let them install it, test it, etc., take it home and enjoy.

Let us know how it goes....think you'll be pleased.

VAPCMD

PS...Your system is designed to run with pairs of DIMMs so to get the best performance from what you buy .. get matching DIMMs in pairs usually referred to as kits. Get two 512MB DIMMs for at total of 1GB or two 1GB DIMMs for a total of 2GBs.

Collapse -
Too much?

In reply to: If you're reasonably handy ...adding RAM to as desktop PC

I went ahead and ordered 4 1GBs. Is that too much? Should I only install one or 2?

Collapse -
When it comes to RAM, more is (almost) always better.

In reply to: Too much?

However ...depending on use...the RAM sweet spot for WinXP is between 1 and 2GB . . ergo the reason I suggested getting 1GB or 2GB. It should also be noted that WinXP can only use 3.2GBs(+/-) even if 4GBs is installed.

My best advice is to reduce the order to 2GBs if any way possible. With the 2GBs you might also be able to use whatever you can of the existing RAM.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: When it comes to RAM, more is (almost) always better.

Thank you so much for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome...let us know how it turns out.

In reply to: Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.