Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Photoshop newbie. Desperate for help

Hey Everyone,

I've just had a need to start using photoshop and for some reason everything (apart from one fluke) comes out pixelated and/or stretched. I feel as though I've thought of everything to no avail. I've tried other dedicated photoshop forums, but I am hoping the members of cnet can help me.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Hayden

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photoshop newbie. Desperate for help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photoshop newbie. Desperate for help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are a few Photoshop guys

In reply to: Photoshop newbie. Desperate for help

That frequent this forum. They should at least be able to get you started.
Meanwhile, it might be an idea if you could explain how you get to the "Pixelated and/or stretched" state.

Are you working with JPEG's or a Gif's?
What are you trying to do with the original that causes it to be stretched.
Do you have any publications for PhotoShop? Consider Photoshop for Dummies as a beginning.
What version of PS are you running?

P

P

Collapse -
The only time I have seen the symptom

you are reporting is when the source image is being made a whole lot bigger than is was ever intended to be.

Bob's questions are the right ones...

Being "new to PhotoShop", what image manipulation application were you using before PhotoShop?

But these - and other questions which will point us in a direction are not necessarily specific to PhotoShop - the image manipulation you do that causes the symptom you report *can* happen in other image manipulation applications.

Collapse -
More info (and thanks)

In reply to: The only time I have seen the symptom

Thank you both for replying. The version of photoshop I'm using is Photoshop CS version 8. This pixelated version seems to come with practically ever format I use. The one fluke time was with a PNG format, but when tried on other occassions it didn't work.

Also at the moment I am attempting to create a logo and not edit a photo. I am only using text and slight text warp. I am new to photoshop but can usually grasp a program by messing around with the features. It doesn't seem to be helping on this occassion.

I grasp the idea of stretching an image to larger than it was meant to be, but this is an original logo.

Hopefully that gives you more to go on

Thanks again

Hayden

Collapse -
what font are you using?

In reply to: More info (and thanks)

Do you know if it is bitmapped (or not)? Does the symptom happen with all fonts? Is it only on your screen or when printed?

Collapse -
Even more info

In reply to: what font are you using?

Hey all,

Not too sure where the conversations gone, but anywho a strange thing happened when I put it into InDesign. It still looked blurry on the indesign screen but was clearer when exported as a pdf! What I'm doing wrong with my viewing then?

Collapse -
Is this a sign of my insignificance, that

In reply to: The only time I have seen the symptom

when I do post, Bob gets the credit

Sad

P

Collapse -
OMG... that was me...

In reply to: Is this a sign of my insignificance, that

I beg forgiveness...

Collapse -
Forgiveness is granted,

In reply to: OMG... that was me...

you will be spared the slings and arrows of outrageous posts.

'til next time, that is!

Happy

P

Collapse -
I genuflect

In reply to: Forgiveness is granted,

in your approximate direction...

Collapse -
That would explain the

In reply to: I genuflect

strange smell in the New York area!

P

Collapse -
oops...

In reply to: That would explain the

'scuse me... Wink

(pretty good shot, though, getting all the way across the country from the left coast and all...)

Collapse -
Hi Hayden

Been awhile since I viewed this forum and saw your problem.

I can try to help but I need an exact description of what you are doing - I've read your other post but they don't explain everything.

You are making a text based logo... from scratch?

or are you making a logo from an separate image and placing text over it? If this is so...

what format is the original source image? When you open it in PS... what size and resolution is it?

I can try and help you step by step but need as much info as you can give me to avoid playing 20 questions! Happy

grim

Collapse -
BTW... turn on your email link.

In reply to: Hi Hayden

It makes it easier to contact someone asking for help and it is a proxy contact that does not allow anyone to know your actual email address.

grim

Collapse -
I got your message Hayden...

In reply to: BTW... turn on your email link.

but I was suggesting you turn on your contact this member option on your profile page.

Either way... for the benefit of other members... if you can describe what you are trying to do, I hopefully can talk you through it.

grim

Collapse -
Hi Hayden, where did you go?

I got your initial email to me and posted in response both here and replied via your supplied email link... but no response.

Did you figure it out and get the job done?

grim

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.