General discussion

Photoshop help...

I have enjoyed photography for over 40 years, but am new to the digital technique. I would like to purchase "Photoshop", but am afraid I will be overwhelmed. Can anyone please direct me to a book that will lead me through "Photoshop"? The more basic the better,i.e. flow charts, quick start menus, etc, Thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide.

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address, which was visible to spammers, on 02/20/2011 on 10:52 AM PT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Photoshop help...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Photoshop help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
PhotoShop effects

Hi,

I have seen photoshop in the past just to try it. What I would like to know is, "When you apply the effects like filter effect to your pictures, are the pictures as good as if you actually used a filter for the camera".

I am planning to buy a Sony P200 (7MP) camera and not sure how I can add filter/lense to it. Is it possible ?

Hi Mr/Mrs. Patterson,

I here are some of the books u can use:
Photoshop 5 for Windows for Dummies
Adobe Photoshop 5 Classroom in a Book
Photoshop 5 for Macs for Dummies
Macworld Photoshop 5 Bible/Book and Cd-Rom for Windows
Macworld Photoshop 5 Bible/Book and Cd-Rom for the MAC

The dummies book should be the most basic. I hope it was helpful.

- Collapse -
Photoshop help....

Ritesh_KS
You certainly were helpful! I would assume these various references would apply regardless of which version of "Photoshop" is purchased. Thanks again, BOB

- Collapse -
Sony P200

Sony sells a $30 adapter for the P200 that lets you add 30mm filters and conversion lenses.

It is called VAD-PHC 30mm Lens Adapter.

- Collapse -
filters and conversion lenses for P200

Thanks SnapShot2...

Do you have any idea if I can get "Filter & Lens Adapter" or "Filter, Lens Adapter and Lens" as a kit. I think that should be cost effective. The only entries I have seen are on ebay and 'am not sure if Its value for money.

I have seen an entry on ebay for "SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-P200 LENS & FILTER PRO KIT SPECIAL" for $109

- Collapse -
P200

The adapter I mentioned is made by Sony.
It only fits the P200.

Those lens adapter kits on eBay are a mixed bag.
Most of the ads do not give you enough information to determine what you are really getting.

- Collapse -
It's up to you.

To me, the newer Photoshop CS is, the more powerful the software is. There are so many good books around for Photoshop. It's hard to say which one is good. You've got to check that out yourselves. Scott Kelby is an excellent editor, you may want to get started with. I personally believe that photoshop is the last resource fixing your photographs. I've been using Photoshop since the very first version and see how powerful the newer version comes along. You may not need every features and function in photoshop. I personally, use only 30-50 % of photoshop CS5 function. Good luck and choose wisely.

- Collapse -
Photoshop elements

I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 1.0 on Ebay for $2.00 and frankly, it suits me fine. It also came with Procreate Painter Classic and penpalette.

My suggestion would be to by a cheap older version and give it a try. If you are overwhelmed, just toss it.

- Collapse -
Why don't you consider a course at a local high school or

junior college? You will probably learn a lot more than you would trying to go through a book on your own. Photoshop is well worth the effort. That's why it's used so widely. That could also give you the opportunity to obtain the latest version at a large discount. The books you buy today will be well beyond old releases.

- Collapse -
Good way to get started...

Taking a class from a local school is a good idea too. Or try www.599cd.com you can purchase lessons for $5.99. I've done 1-3 and think they are a good (and cheap) way to get started and it's something you can refer back to time and time again as needed.
Also, if you are considering buying a new camera you should check the software, I recently purchased a new Canon Dig and Photoshop Elements came with the software bundle.

- Collapse -
Photoshop Help Book

I have recently bought CS5 Extended and if i was you it`s crammed with stuff that you will definitely not use. I used CS3 Extended before i bought CS5 and it is quite more user friendly than CS5. I regret buying CS5 now because i read the editor`s article on the subject and he mentioned Photoshop Elements witch i am going to look at. The book you want is Photoshop for Dummies price around 34
I would definitely do your homework before buying Photoshop,even on adobe`s website you cannot get the information you want. Hope this helps. i am trying to get somebody to help me with CS5 no luck so far.

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address, which was visible to spammers, on 02/20/2011 on 10:52 AM PT

- Collapse -
At close to 6 years.

Let's close this discussion.

CNET Forums

Forum Info