Mac OS forum

Alert

Photoshop CS4 doesn't work with Lion

by AlAlcorn / August 9, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

I made a new partition on my new iMac so I could make a
clean install of OS 10.7 Lion. I
installed most of my important apps with no problem including Photoshop CS4 and
Photoshop worked fine at first; I was able to edit and print photos. Two days later, after installing more
apps Photoshop wouldn't launch claiming error 150:30. I contacted Adobe customer support and paid $40 for phone support
for this problem. After more than
5 hours on the phone and following all their instructions, removing and re-installing Photoshop
several times and re-installing Lion several times now it won't even let me install Photoshop CS4 claiming the installer is
corrupted. The disk works fine on
another Mac.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photoshop CS4 doesn't work with Lion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photoshop CS4 doesn't work with Lion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's right. Did you try the workaround noted at link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2011 7:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
I tried most everything
by AlAlcorn / August 10, 2011 7:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. I did download Java separately from the Lion install and it made no difference. When I had Photoshop CS4 installed in Lion when the problem started it wouldn't launch, error 150:30. I tried all the suggestions on the lengthy document from Adobe on that error. One big problem is that the one thing that might have solved the problem, running a Adobe app called "License Recovery Utility" won't run on Lion, it needs Rosetta and that doesn't work on Lion!

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:12 AM PDT

Something's gone pear shaped here. Other folk are running CS4 on Lion so it's a mystery why you can't.

HOWEVER the errors you are writing about are giving very bad thoughts about an old DVD drive or a ready to eject hard drive (in other words it may not be much longer till it heads to silicon heaven.)

In the shop I know to swap HDD and DVDRW to do a clean install and try the article I noted. Most users don't have that luxury.
Bob

Collapse -
Licensing error
by Prince_Mishkin / September 2, 2011 5:12 AM PDT

I had the same issue when I migrated from Snow Leopard to a new Lion installation. The licensing service isn't working and adobe doesn't often know what to do since their licensing tool no longer works since Rosetta is disabled. Go figure.

Anyways, the following worked for me so you might try it:

1. Download the mac version from here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing_download_eula.html

2. Use terminal to locate and run the "install_fnp.sh" file in "LicenseRecovery\mac_install_11.6.1" inside the DMG
(To run a sh file in terminal, type "sudo sh install_fnp.sh" enter your password at the sudo warning and the script should take care of the rest.)

3. Open Photoshop and enjoy!

Again, this is what worked for me so it may not work for you, but the 150:30 tells me that the license service isn't working, odds are because something used to require rosetta to install.

Good luck!

~PM

Collapse -
CS4 Crash Problem
by AlAlcorn / September 3, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Licensing error

Thanks for the all good advice. I wound up wiping the disk and doing a new clean install. Everything worked this time. The biggest problem in all this is Adobe support. They never came close to understanding the problem and wasted hours of my time and only made things much worse. When they ran out of ideas they simply told me that an expert would call me within 3 days. This never happened. They just dropped the ball.

Collapse -
It's worse than this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: CS4 Crash Problem

Now that CS5 is out, those that know about CS4 are fading into the past.

Also, given your story did you expect them to reload your system for you? That would cost you much more than what you did.
Bob

PS. There is a fine topic about where support is no longer included with today's products. It's now a pay (a lot) as you go affair.

Collapse -
install_fnp.sh file cannot be added to Terminal
by klimik / April 6, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

Hi,

I tried to follow your advise as I have run into the same problems. However, if I try to locate the install_fnp.sh file by using Terminal, the file name is in grey so I can't open it with Terminal.

I haven't really used Terminal before so I might be doing something wrong? Can you please help?

Many thanks!

Collapse -
"the file name is in grey so I can't open it with Terminal."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

Sorry but at the command line, the color of the file does not mean I can't use it. I'm left to guess you are trying to open said file with a mouse and GUI rather than a command line.

But let's cut to the bottom line.

You paid for this app, the app will not install and work so either the maker fixes that (if it's on a supported OS) or they refund your bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
Licensing Stopped Working - Fixed
by wriwanski / October 29, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

I just used this tip after a migration to a new MacBook Pro with Mavericks installed and it worked!

Thanks a lot!

-WRI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.