Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Photos hard to work with in Windows 2000.

by bigmura / January 7, 2006 1:30 PM PST

Hi Everybody. I had a laptop with XP and just switched to a desktop with 2000 Professional. I am having a hard time working with photos.

When I put in a CD with photos, they open in Photo Editor, but they are very small and grainy. Why is that? Can I do anything to make them bigger and better? Also, with Photo Editor, isn't there any way to move from one image to the next without going back and forth out of photo editor? Is there anything I could download that could give me the XP-like photo viewer? I noticed that in "Accessories" there is something called "imaging," but it doesn't seem much different.

Sorry if this question has been addressed. I searched for "photos" and didn't come up with any discussion specifically about this. Thanks for any help, Liz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photos hard to work with in Windows 2000.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photos hard to work with in Windows 2000.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Replace Photo Editor?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 10:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Picasa
by bigmura / January 8, 2006 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Replace Photo Editor?

I used Picasa on my other computer...it was great. BUt I think it must have taken up a lot of space on my computer. Every time I opened it, it opened every photo I had saved on it. Does anyone use Picasa? Is there a way to get it to operate so that it doesn't have to use so much...I don't know the right term....processing speed?

Or do you recommend any of the ones mentioned above for a sort of "light" photo viewer? Anyone care to elaborate on any of them...pros and cons?

Thanks a lot for the info,
Liz

Collapse -
light" photo viewer = IRFANVIEW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Picasa

No, I'm electing not to write pros and cons. Everyone has their view and I've learned to just offer choices and let everyone sort out what they like.

As to "taken up a lot of space" that's an old school issue with seeing 100+ GB drives in the sub 50 buck range. If you must run on some smallish drive, then do try to curb the programs as you can.

Bob

Collapse -
TIme not space
by bigmura / January 8, 2006 5:08 AM PST

Thanks Bob, for your feedback. I guess it's not so much the space it takes up as much as the time that it takes. WHen I start it, I actually see each and every photo in it being loaded. Seems sort of silly....I'm wondering if there isn't a way to bypass that. ? Thanks again,
Liz

Collapse -
Some create the thumbnails and the 2nd time...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: TIme not space

It just pops into view. You'll have to try such to see the effects.

Bob

Collapse -
Check the Start Up Options
by elysium812 / January 15, 2006 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: TIme not space

I am using Picasso2, and this, when starting, checks hard drive and online for new photos', so by unchecking alot of the options for start up, it should start up rather quickly, this also should solve the checking and displaying every graphic on your hard drive (hopefully).

Collapse -
How to check options for picasso?
by bigmura / January 16, 2006 1:24 AM PST

thanks for this info. I did install Picasso in my new computer that I had referenced above...it does work great with Windows 2000.

Re: the last post...that's great to know. Can you tell me how to change the start up options for picasso? Thanks a lot! Liz

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!