Computer Help forum

General discussion

photos deleted during CD burning process

by m1rabel / July 21, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

Hi - I tried moving photos from my C drive to a CD but there wasn't enough space on the CD so in an attempt to cancel the process and restore the photos back to my C drive, I selected the "delete the temporary files" option (couldn't find a cancel option)but only some of the photos ended up in my recycle bin which I could then save back to my C drive, many other photos simply disappeared!! Is there someway I can retrieve them or were they permanently deleted? Why would some be restored and others not? Please help!! These are pictures of my children! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: photos deleted during CD burning process
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: photos deleted during CD burning process
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's a lesson here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 4:19 AM PDT

COPY, make a second, third copy then delete.

You did not reveal what software you were using so let's look in XP's CD STAGING AREA. Here's an article about where it could be -> "To facilitate CD recording, Windows XP uses a staging area to store the data for recording, which is located in the following hidden folder:
Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning "

Complete text at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279157
Bob

Collapse -
lesson learned!
by m1rabel / July 21, 2009 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: There's a lesson here.

Yes, lesson learned Big Time!! I usually do copy first so I blew it on this one. I am pretty careful about deleting anything and I felt the warning from Windows that said "do you want to delete the temporary files from the staging area only" meant my originals were still safe but obviously not! I didn't see any other way to cancel the CD burning process so I couldn't believe it when I lost so many photos! Thank you so much for the path to the CD Burning staging area - I had tried doing a "search" for it which turned up nothing even though I had specified to include hidden files! Unfortunately it was empty. I think the recycle bin ran out of room to hold all the deleted files so Windows did something else with them but I have no idea what! I'm beginning to think I need to spend $70 on software to restore deleted files - such a bummer. Unless there's any other suggestions to find these photos!! Thanks again for your help. BTW, I'm running Windows XP Professional

Collapse -
You can't search for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: lesson learned!

That is why I supplied an article so you can go directly to the staging area.

Collapse -
found the staging area
by m1rabel / July 21, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

Yes, thank you for the path and the article. I found the CD Burning staging area and unfortunately it was empty. The files were deleted - some went into the recycle bin until that ran out of space and the rest went somewhere else! I will get osftware to try to recover them. thanks again.

Collapse -
For zero dollars go get RECUVA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 12:44 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.