Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Photos

Help,I have put my photos onto a dvd,I can play it on my pc but not on my tv,what should I have done???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you should have done . . .

In reply to: Photos

is read the Note in red:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

What do you mean by "play"? Slide show, power point, Windows movie?

Collapse -
photos

In reply to: What you should have done . . .

Ok sorry,NEC powermate V1220,windows vista.By "play" I mean look at the photos on the tv through the dvd player.

Collapse -
OK, like ChuckT said . . .

In reply to: photos

What formats will the DVD player play and what formats are you saving the pictures?

Collapse -
photos

In reply to: OK, like ChuckT said . . .

The photos are jpg.The following is from the dvd book.
File extension:".jpg"

CD-R Format: ISO 9660 and Joliet.
DVD+R/RW Format: ISO 9660(UDF Bridge Format)
Notes on jpg file:Progressive and lossless compression JPEG files are not supported.
Hope this makes it clearer.
Thanks

Collapse -
It helps a little

But if you gave us the model number of your TV device, that you are using to "play" these DVDs, that would be better.

JPG is just the most typical of picture formats. Not being able to support "lossless JPEG" (by the way, JPG and JPEG are just different acronyms for the same format) may be that it expects JPG on the filename, and many "lossless JPEG" images MAY have JP2 on the end. OR the image decoders in your device may just not handle "lossless JPEG" images. I can't say, for sure, because I don't know what your device is.

One other reason you may be having with trying to read your images on your burned disk is that you may have your images in a folder or sub-folder, a data structure that your device, perhaps, can not delve into. Your images may need to be at the root (the top level directory) of your disk. OR your device may require that your images be in a particular folder structure and/or name.

Again, if you tell us what your device is, perhaps someone here can research your owner's manual.

Collapse -
A DVD has to be readable by a TV (?) to be used by a TV

Just because you can put photos on a DVD does not make it compatible with any reader, be it a computer, a DVD player, or any sort of device including a TV that might have a DVD player built in.

Just because it plays on a computer is not a fair or equal test. There can be many different video decoders already in your computer that understands, and "jumps in," to play your photos there. Whatever device you have connected to your TV is probably very limited.

Read the specs for the device you are trying to play this on, and see what formats are compatible. Then use whatever needed program to burn to that format.

Collapse -
(NT) Make them into an mpeg slide show

Collapse -
Photos

In reply to: Make them into an mpeg slide show

Thank you,will give it a try.

Collapse -
HOW did you "put my photos onto a dvd"?

Most DVD Players do not recognize DVDs created with packet writing software (where you essentially drag and drop files to the DVD like a big floppy).

Normally you make make use of DVD burning software to burn and finalize a DVD before a player will be able to recognize that anything is written to the disk.

Collapse -
Did you finalize the disk?

Once you've gone through the trouble of putting the images on the disk does not make them readily readable on any other DVD reader. The disk has to be finalized, that is to close off the directory structure.

Depending upon your burning software, that may require another step from you. Some disk burning software will automatically do that extra step for you, or just warn you that the finalization has yet to be done.

Without the disk being finalized, the images on the 'still open' files can only be seen on the computer you used to burn the images. If you take that still open, un-finalized, disk to any other computer you will not see the images listed (they are there, but the directory structure is not yet ready).

So, forget about trying you disk on your yet to be proved TV device. Just take your disk to another computer and see if the images can be seen. If they can't be seen there then they will not be seen elsewhere.

Collapse -
photos

In reply to: Did you finalize the disk?

The photos can be viewed on my laptop.

Collapse -
Yeah, but

That does not answer the point I was making. I want you to see if the photos are viewable on at least TWO computers. Just being able to view them on the same computer that you created the disk with, does not show that the directory is finalized. The un-finalized directory structure is only known to that PC creating the disk.

If you take that disk to another computer and you can't see that photos, or files, there, that shows that the disk is not finalized. Not being finalized could be the reason your TV device is not able to view the photos.

Collapse -
Yeah but

In reply to: Yeah, but

The disc was made on my desktop pc.I can also see my photos on my laptop.

Collapse -
So then

In reply to: Yeah but

Since the photos can be seen on a 2nd computer that means that the directory is in some readable fashion. (At least, readable on a computer, not so much so on your TV device.)

Then I would suggest, like I said before, that the directory structure you are using is not usable on your TV device. Such as, perhaps, you have the photos in a folder, or a sub-folder, that the TV device you are using is not able to read or navigate.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.