Cameras forum

General discussion

Photograph Image Quality Setting-What is Overkill?

05-05-06
Hi,
I know you can't convert sparsely recorded pixels into a fabulous photo, and that you should select the highest quality camera mode for your particular purpose when you take the photo.

My object is family and nature closeups I'd like to reproduce as cleanly as possible and save forever. My camera (Fuji FinePix E550) has 6 quality options. I'm using the setting recommended for printing up to an 8X10 = 2848X2136 pixels. Is that OK for my purposes?

I've hesitated going to a higher pixel count because there's a caveat in the manual that says there's a greater chance of speckling with the higher settings. But would a higher quality setting be worth chancing that problem to enhance an 8X10 further, or just be overkill? Higher setting options are 4048X3040 - normal and fine - for printing up to a 14x17 size, which I don't find the need for now.
Thank you again. (The answer to my last question solved downloading.) zippykp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photograph Image Quality Setting-What is Overkill?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photograph Image Quality Setting-What is Overkill?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 6 megapixel Fujifilm E550

In reply to: Photograph Image Quality Setting-What is Overkill?

The 2848 x 2136 setting (6 megapixels)
is a good setting for 8 x 10 prints.

For 14 x 17 I would use the same 6 megapixel setting.

The 4048 x 3040 setting is a six megapixel shot that is interpolated into 12 megapixels.

This is the same as using software to increase the size of a photo.
It results in degrading the quality of the photo.

Using the 12 megapixel interpolated setting to print a 8 x 10 photo would not be a good idea.

I don't know of any good use for the 12 megapixel interpolated setting for any reason.

Collapse -
Thank you so much!!

In reply to: The 6 megapixel Fujifilm E550

05-07-06
Thank you so much for concise, VERY clear answers to my small but very nagging questions!! The extra information also forstalled future indecision regarding the subject. PS> This was a great service to turn to when all other avenues failed to solve a specific problem. This kind of assistance inspires confidence to proceed further with an unfamiliar medium!!
zippykp

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.