Cameras forum

General discussion

Photo scanning service

by dratner / November 3, 2008 4:59 AM PST

I am looking for a photo scanning service that meets my needs:
1. Reliable and reasonable price
2. Can return digitized photos on DVD
3. I would like to annotate (caption) the photos and then either upload or re-burn the images to DVD for production into a DVD movie with music.

#3 is important to me. I know there are many services that just digitize photos.
Thanks for helping.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo scanning service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo scanning service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are unlikely to find #3. Here's why.
by Kiddpeat / November 3, 2008 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Photo scanning service

If a company burns a DVD for you with embedded music, they are at risk for damages for the violation of copyrights. You may own full rights to the music, but most people embedding music do not. No one is going to spend the time sorting that out for a "reasonable price".

The market for such a service is probably quite small. The software needed to do this yourself is readily available.

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 10:22 AM PST

I use ProShow Gold by Photodex.
They have a trial copy you can download.

It is a slide show program and it can burn the slide show to DVD if you have a DVD burner, or Blu Ray if you have a Blu Ray burner.

Collapse -
Annotate
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: #3

ProShow Gold also lets you add text to the photos or on a blank slide before the picture slide or narration (voice) to a slide or group of slides or both.

It has foreground sound and background sound, so you can have background music during a narration.
Independent volume control for both.
This allows you to lower the music during the narration.

Collapse -
problems playing burned dvd?
by dratner / November 3, 2008 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: #3

I've tried home-produced dvd's before and frequently they will not play on my entertainment center's dvd player. That's why I am looking for a service that will scan, return, let me caption and then return the images to them for a professionally-mastered dvd that will surely play.

Collapse -
That rarely helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 8:46 PM PST

If the service uses DVD+R or DVD-R media then you still run into playback issues. So that's a dead end.

However there is a method to make commercially made DVDs but the costs are in the many thousands. I've seen Microsoft do this for small runs for their conferences but they would press about 5 thousand copies and the conference bill was over 500 bucks so you can see there was money to fund that. Are you sure you can afford pressed media?
Bob

Collapse -
Professionally produced DVD's
by dratner / November 3, 2008 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: That rarely helps.

I've had super 8mm transferred to DVD and it played grat with great quality. I guess my term "professionally produced" through you off.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Let me share a freebie I used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 9:09 PM PST

I have found that DVD FLICK makes great .ISO images that I use IMGBURN (see google) to record on DVD+R or DVD-R and one or both of those DVDs do play fine on most players.

But I do use name brand media for that stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD Burners
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 11:42 PM PST

The DVD burner makers update their firmware often.

Make sure that your burner has the latest firmware.

Do a test.
Download a trial copy of a Slide Show program and make a "short" slide show.
Burn it to DVD and see if it works on your equipment.

Collapse -
Photo Scanning Suggestions
by bstevens81 / February 3, 2009 5:06 AM PST

I agree with the other posts that #3 will be hard to achieve. I had boxes of old photo albums that I wanted to convert to digital images so 1) I could preserve them theoretically forever rather than having the originals fade and discolor 2) so I could save my lower back from hauling them when I move. I researched a couple different services, and wound up using one called <a href="http://www.scanphotostodigital.com">ScanPhotosToDigital</a>. Their bigger packages get down to about $0.15 per photo. I chose them A) because they have a fast 3-day turnaround for photos (they are in the US) and B) they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can read some of their testimonials, but I was pretty pleased with their service. They also offer slide and negative scanning but I haven't used them for that yet.

Hope that helps!

Bryan

Collapse -
Oops, URL
by bstevens81 / February 3, 2009 5:08 AM PST

Forgot to leave the URL for the photo scanning service above: www.scanphotostodigital.com.

Collapse -
Great Scanning Service
by kpaulf / February 4, 2009 1:01 AM PST

<a href="http://www.thesimplescan.com">Simple Scan</a> is the company that I used. They were great, I sent them my files via fed ex and they had them scanned in a matter of hours and my DVD + photos were back in my posession in a couple days.

I was charged 29 cents per photo which is around average but the quality and service made up for it.
<a href="http://www.thesimplescan.com">www.thesimplescan.com</a>

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Try www.nickelscan.com and Proshow Gold
by repete1 / April 16, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

I don't think you'll be well served looking for a great scanning service that builds a great slide show. These are two different specialties. I agree that Pro Show Gold is the best slide show software. I think that Nickelscan.com provides the best value in photo scanning today.

Collapse -
photo scanning service
by celltech2000 / October 23, 2009 10:15 AM PDT

I was recently looking all around for a photo scanning service to scan all my old photos cheap and fast. I found this site called BriteRoots.com. It's a small start-up but the staff is friendly and the work was quality. I was able to scan like 500 photos for $50. I think it is only 10 cents per scan right now until the end of the year. Definitely a bargain.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!