Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Photo quality from video frame

by verna / November 29, 2004 10:57 PM PST

One of the things we want to be able to do with a video camera (minidv) is to capture a single frame from a video for use as a still photo on our web site. Question is: Are these photos of decent quality for use on the web? I've seen some comments indicating they are marginal. Are any brands better than others? What should I look for to get the best quality at the frame level? I do not have access to a video camera to test this on my own.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo quality from video frame
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo quality from video frame
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Photo quality from video frame
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 11:08 PM PST

"I've seen some comments indicating they are marginal. Are any brands better than others? What should I look for to get the best quality at the frame level? I do not have access to a video camera to test this on my own."

1. Again. MARGINAL.
2. A frame that looks better. Try the prior or next frame..
3. No need to test. Video is all of 640x400 ratty pixels at best. It is not a series of Digital Camera pictures.

If you really want that, then you may have to look at DVPRO cameras.

bob

Collapse -
They look pretty bad in their raw form, but they can be
by Kiddpeat / November 30, 2004 4:46 AM PST

cleaned up in a photo editor. It takes some time, but can be done. One advantage you have going for you is that you want to use them on the web. Most monitors display about 72dpi, so, if you don't try to go full screen, the video 'picture' may look OK.

Collapse -
by frankzxcv / November 30, 2004 5:25 AM PST

if it's very well lit you can get usable pix for small half-tone printing and the like, but doubtful you will get anything beyond. bottom line is, if you want consistenetly good stills, get a still camera. --fj

Collapse -
by dlykins / November 30, 2004 2:13 PM PST

I have the same question...and have done some research.but have not tested it myself.

I understand it will not be a high quality still shot,, as the resolution is less than 1 mega pixel even on the top of the line sony's. (maybe the high defintion $3000 sony is an exception)..

but the normal sony camecorders only record video at 600,000 pixels or less...where a good digital camera from sony (model 150) is 7.2mega pixel per shot...(see the difference here).. you can print really good still photos at 7.2 mega pixels but anything less than 4mega pixel is not a good print...

let me know what you conclude,, we can share ideas.

DOn Lykins
513-722-4924
dlykins0@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?