Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Photo file conversion.

by pjorat3 / December 25, 2008 9:52 AM PST

A while back I scanned most of my slides and put them on an external hard drive. The problem is that to preserve as much information as possible I scanned them with as much resolution as possible figuring I could always downgrade but wouldn't be able to upgrade. In addition the files are tiff. files and I find that in order to use the images on a digital photo frame the files have to be jpeg. The files are about 64mb large and a ***** to work with because of their size. My question is, are there any programs that will convert from tiff. to jpeg. I have PhotoShop Elements 4 and I haven't found anywhere that tells me how to convert the files. Guess I should have scanned them as jpeg to start with but it's too late now. I have two laptops one with XP and the other with Vista. Both with a 2mhz processor and 2 gig memory and 160gig hard drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo file conversion.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo file conversion.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSPaint?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Photo file conversion.

I confess I don't know if MSPaint will open TIFF images, but if it does, could you then use the Save As option to save as JPEG?

If not, try IrfanView, a free image editor/converter, or Graphic Workshop, which isn't free.

Mark

Collapse -
Microsoft Digital Image.
by mopscare42 / December 29, 2008 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: MSPaint?

Will open TIFF files and you can save them as a JPEG.
I shoot mostly RAW and convert them to TIFF in the Canon DPP program.
I can then open the TIFF file with the Microsoft program and save them as a JPEG.
Photoshop Elements 6 will also let you convert from TIFF to JPEG.

Collapse -
Image file conversion
by pjorat3 / January 4, 2009 1:17 PM PST

As it turns out I have a simple free program that does what I want. It's called Image resizer from VSO by LG software. I can change the file size as well as the type eg. tiff to jepg. as well as a number of others. The problem with Irfanview which I downloaded was that it was somewhat complicated plus it installed on my tool tray plus it changed the photo program type from PhotoShop or microsoft image viewer with that red frog or whatever it is. Any way the conversion went fine and quick as well. About 5 gigs in a flash. The pics play great in the digital photo viewer and I'm happy as a clam. I guess I need to do a little more investigating to see what programs I've downloaded and haven't used. Thanks for the help all the same.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?