Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Photo-editing question

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

Hi, All.

I know this isn't the most appropriate place, but the small number of such discussion I can find seem to be spread among a number of forums (digital cameras, PC applications, graphics, etc.) I'm looking for a program that will allow me to apply brightness, contrast, etc. corrections to a particular area of a digital photo, rather than the whole thing. This is mainly to edit out the "flare" effect when there is one or more light sources in a photo that are substantially brighter than the rest -- candles, lights, windows, etc. I know that ideally you avoid including such things, but I'm certainly not going to forego taking a photo of the Amber Room in Catherine's Palace because there's a hanging chandelier -- but I want to minimize the effects after the fact to improve the overall photo quality.

Thanks for any suggestions! -- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo-editing question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo-editing question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many of them
by Jerry562 / May 5, 2005 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo-editing question

Photo Shop
Photo Deluxe 3 or 4
MS Photo Premium
and Photobase to name a few

Collapse -
Will PS Elements do it, Jerry?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2005 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Many of them

The "senior" program is a lot more powerful (and expensive) than I need...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Elements will do it. It lacks the sophisticated tool that PS
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2005 5:07 AM PDT

has, but it does have layers, levels, and masks which, among other options, allow this function to be performed.

Collapse -
Have you tried Gimpshop?

It's the Gimp modified so that the menus and tools look very similar to Photoshop. I haven't tried it.

The download link for the Windows version is down the page at this link:

http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241

DE

Collapse -
and...
by Dick White / May 5, 2005 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Many of them

I use PaintShop Pro and others have suggested ACDsee as a shareware product that is just as good as any of the commercial ones.

You use the select tool (there could be separate ones on the toolbar for rectangular areas or round areas or irregular areas) to pick the area to work on (much the same as if you were going to do a simple crop) and then use the image adjustment tool to modify saturation within the selected area. You may need to zoom in on the general area of the troublesome spot so that it occupies a large enough area on the screen that you can comfortably manuever your mouse around just the flash point. Don't change colors or hues, just desaturate it. I find this technique also works for redeye and I think gives a more natural result than some of the redeye tools in other photo-retouching programs that just replace red pixels with black.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, **** and all. (NT)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2005 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: and...
Collapse -
What did you type to get the ****, Dave?
by Paul C / May 5, 2005 11:02 AM PDT

Seems our filters might be just a tad too sensitive...

Collapse -
maybe, maybe not
by Dick White / May 5, 2005 11:41 AM PDT

the filters are set for words that are sometimes used to describe parts of the male anatomy which are also my name. As others have discovered, don't respond to me by familiar first name either in your title or in your message, otherwise that word will be farkled. But if you refer to me by "dw" or slip an odd space or two in between letters, it will take.

dw

Collapse -
You're assuming he said ****.
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: maybe, maybe not

He could have said chin or **** or **** or piss or alot of other stuff.

There's no way to know.

Devil

Dan

Collapse -
The is one of the many uses of Photoshop. I think PS Element
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

s can also do this.

Collapse -
You don't have to limit...
by Edward ODaniel / May 5, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

yourself to one application as some of the best are too expensive for your purpose and others do some things better and easier than others.

In addition to PS suggestions you might take a look at www.freeserifsoftware.com/default.asp

PhotoPlus 6.0 does a pretty fair job without a huge learing curve and may be all you need.

Collapse -
Thanks, Ed. I'd seen a mention of that someplace
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

and have it on the list to check out...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Whichever application you use...
by EdH / May 5, 2005 10:25 AM PDT

back up the originals and work on copies. You probably knew that but just to be sure.

Collapse -
(NT) Burn the originals to CD-ROM.
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2005 11:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.