Cameras forum

General discussion

Photo Editing

by vhummel / May 21, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

I would like to find an easy to use photo editing program that I can edit photos and REPLACE the original photo instead of still having the original and the corrected copy. I have tried 4 or 5 different programs and they all want to save the original plus add the corrected one. This is very confusing when I try to look up the photo there is 2 copies which I dont want or need.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo Editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo Editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Photo Editing
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo Editing

It is a bad practice to overwrite your original, unless you have another copy of the original some place else. can do it.

For free there is Irfanview.

For under $100 there is Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.

Both will let you overwrite the original but they will always ask if you really want to do that.
Just click yes.


Collapse -
Saving files...
by Papa Echo / May 21, 2006 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo Editing

If you want to overwrite, use "Save", meaning save the changes. If you want to keep the original, use "Save As", meaning save as a different file. Here, you can give it another name to prevent confusion Usually, you will have to give it a different name (suggestion- just add 2).

Collapse -
Editing s/w
by tasuray / May 24, 2006 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Photo Editing

though u have not mentioned software you have tried, Picasa is very easy and replaced the original by the edited one. Another free but east s/w is PhotoPlus6. But this is not the proper way to save, u can use 'save as' instead of 'save'with adding some numeric values e.g. 1,2 the edited one.Then write the original one in a CD and delete from the HDD.

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!