Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Photo dates all wrong on download

by ExpatMom / January 14, 2009 2:04 AM PST

I just downloaded Picasa as recommended by many people as the best free photo organizer and editor around. I have yet to use it because the first thing I noticed is that all the dates on my pics are wrong! I know this for a fact because my camera (which is correctly dated) records the dates and also because when I load pics onto my computer they are labeled with the event (ie Bills Birthday, Hang Daddy on the beach) - so I know exactly when they were taken without a doubt! I don't want to go making adjustments to the pics before I know if I can make corrections to the dates; or should I shop around for a different editor all together?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo dates all wrong on download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo dates all wrong on download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What time is it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 3:11 AM PST

Is a big problem. Do you display GMT or adjust to the users timezone? How would you apply DST to pictures? Wouldn't the picture require GPS coordinates so we can pick out the time that applied for that day in that location?

And we're just getting started.

On Windows the date could be the file creation date, modication date, time you looked at it last or the EXIF data and all this may have to be modified as noted in my first paragraph.

Not to disappoint you but as you can see, no one knows what time it is.
Bob

Collapse -
Dated Pictures
by ExpatMom / January 15, 2009 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: What time is it?

Ok, I think you're a little over my head here... My Toshiba already had my pictures labeled and dated (based on my programed camera) just fine before I downloaded Picasa. It's a good thing I didn't delete anything after the download - even though now I am using up twice as much space on my hard drive... - but if Picasa can't copy the information given, do I have to go and edit all 10,000 of my photos to correct the date the pic was taken?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Dated Pictures

But we don't want to correct this until we know what date/time we want to change. Windows has no less than 4 sources for the date and time. Three are in the file system, another is in the actual photo.

Until you have a firm grasp of which is being used, displayed and more I would not change this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!