Cameras forum

General discussion

Photo date and time removal quick fix?

by evennewerbie / February 6, 2011 8:18 AM PST

I got a Nikon S8000 about a year ago. I have never ever done any photo-editing, except rotating and cropping on Microsoft picture editor - which doesn't seem to have much else.

If the camera is set to record date etc. these appear red at the bottom within the photo. Nikon's instruction manual told me there is no way to remove them from the photo. But presumably you CAN do something on the computer-stored image.

What do you recommend for someone not yet into editing as immediate quick fix? For some it would be sufficient to make them unobtrusive, for some I might prefer total removal of dates info if possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo date and time removal quick fix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo date and time removal quick fix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick Fix
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 11:35 PM PST

Nikon is right.
The date/Time is now part of the picture file.

The quick software fix is to "crop" the picture, so that the date/time is cut out of the picture.
You will also cut out some part of the picture.

Someone experienced with PhotoShop software can usually remove it or mask it.

Collapse -
Someone experienced with PhotoShop software can usually remo
by evennewerbie / February 10, 2011 7:36 PM PST
In reply to: Quick Fix

"Someone experienced with PhotoShop software can usually remove it or mask it"

Thanks, but I am not, in fact I had never once done anything with it, that's why I asked if there was a quick fix. And I had cropped numbers of pictures but not always does this solution correspond to the pictorial composition you want.

Seems you need to wade through quite a lot of stuff about brushes etc. to do it on Photoshop but I was able to do a rough job, see progress report and questions on next post.

Collapse -
More ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2011 7:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Not so easy at first
by evennewerbie / February 10, 2011 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: More ideas.

Thank you. Yeah, went there as explained on other answer. Cursor system am used to from my scanner - however the photoshop one seems a lot more fiddly and difficult and took time to half get hang of. I did manage to blank some things with simple backgrounds adequately if not very professionally if you are looking at that corner.

Still now, after I went to ControlJ to replace obvious blanks with resembling backgrounds e.g. a carpet, I start with what I intend to be a corner but then moving the cursor the rectangle moves both up and down. Thinks; I should start in the middle. A bit rough that though. Not successful in dragging and dropping this background anyway. Those instructions do not make me sure of the exact sequence of manual mouse operations.

Other difficult is SAVING. Instructions not explicit. I don't know how I succeeded sometimes. Other times I want to save my jpg images, and it wants to give them another suffix of its own (forget what called, shp or something), anyway I somehow save and just find my original image not changed, if anything else has been saved I don't know where it is.

This all makes it a very slow fix.

Any advice?

Collapse -
correction/ addition
by evennewerbie / February 10, 2011 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: More ideas.

Correcting last post: I see my corrected photo is in the file by the side of the uncorrected one. However when I do a visualisation as presentation (slideshow sequence) only the uncorrected one appears. When I click on the corrected image (psd is the suffix) it takes me back inside photoshop.

I tried dragging and dropping the new image to duplicate it. Duplicated still takes me back into photoshop. I modified the suffix to .jpg. No more picture. :wallbash:

How do I just save the modified picture in its existing format? :wallbash:

Collapse -
Saving in PhotoShop
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: correction/ addition

My quote: "Someone experienced with PhotoShop software can usually remove it or mask it."

It sounds if you are not experienced, but are learning PhotoShop.
PhotoShop has a long learning curve, so don't expect anything to be easy at first.

When you save a file you should always do a "Save As".
Then you change the name of the file during the "Save As".
e.g. if the file name is Horse, change it to Horse2 or something like that.
You will likely have to tell "Save As" where you want to save it.

You also want to make sure the file name extender is set to .jpg
If PhotoShop insists upon saving the file as .psd ... that means you have added a layer to the original photo. Before you can save it as .jpg you have to "flatten" the image.

You will likely find the "flatten image" command under "Layer".
It depends upon which version of PhotoShop you have.

Collapse -
No Date Stamp
by mwooge / February 11, 2011 1:43 PM PST

Best way to remove a date stamp is to not put it on the picture in the first place. See if your -camera- has an option for placing a date-stamp and turn it off.

Collapse -
Obviously
by richteral / February 11, 2011 4:55 PM PST
In reply to: No Date Stamp

1. For personal reference & if needed, time & date of the shot are in EXIF data anyway. If the photographer knows nothing about EXIF, time to find out. Even if the obnoxious red imprint is obliterated, as long as the picture is passed on digitally, it will carry the EXIF, possibly including GPS coordinates as well.

2. Photoshop is overkill, esp. for a novice. In XP, I used to get rid of dates by using the seemingly primitive yet very good MS Photo Editor, simply smudging. Failing that, Clone Stamp works extremely well & is fairly easy to apply with a little effort; I prefer to use Paint.NET with that.

Collapse -
Thank you and reaction
by evennewerbie / April 1, 2011 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Obviously

Thank you all who answered. They were informative and somewhat helpful. I would not say they were the quick fixes I was looking for. As I think proficient people sometimes no longer understand the difficulties of the techillterate a few comments would help if they are giving advice regularly.

E.g. I did start to look at other programmes mentioned. Not the MS because I did not want a smudge which would be obvious. I looked at Clone Stamp and Paint Net and downloaded some stuff from them. (Few weeks ago and have already forgotten details.) They looked to me just as formidable to start on, to get into, as Photoshop which I had at least made a start on and that had some understandable locateable instructions even if following then didn't seem to do anything. Also they sound like different programmes - but one of them is just a part of Photoshop isn't it? confused.

I only solved the problem when my son (not living here) who must have put Photoshop on the computer in the first place came and showed me. All that needed to be said would have been "On the tool bar click on Brush |V|; for a simple background chose a Master Diameter of size to just enclose a datestamp digit (for more complicated background choose a suitable smaller size); with mouse put this circle on background and press ALT; put circle over datestamp digit and Lclick, as many times as necessary." I am sure I am not using the full potentialities but that gives me the quick fix I needed.
Nothing is noticeable to the casual observer, though an expert eye that is looking for it might pick signs up in some photos.

I did not know about EXIFS before, and have briefly looked up what that is. It may be useful to me to find out when and where some of my photos are from! Many are from a previous camera, a Fuji F410 - does anyone know if that has EXIFS and GPS? So, you are saying e.g. if I e-mail photos to someone else and they are put up on a website anyone could trace this info? I did not see it mentioned but does the info include the serial number of the camera making it traceable back to the buyer?

Collapse -
EXIF
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 1, 2011 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you and reaction

I checked several of my cameras and the Canon 20D (DSLR) camera does include the serial number. The others did not.
What is included is up to the camera manufacturer.

You can find software on the Internet that will let you alter the EXIF information in a picture.

The Fuji F410 has EXIF but not GPS.
GPS can only be found on cameras that advertise they have GPS built-in.
Not many have GPS built-in.
I saw a warning the other day about GPS equipped cameras.

If you post a picture on the web of your house and the camera is equipped with GPS, people can locate exactly where you live. If they use GPS mapping software, they can look at a map that shows where you live.

Adobe also sells a program called PhotoShop Elements for about $90.
It has all of the good stuff from PhotoShop but leaves out the things that only a professional would want.

Collapse -
GPS and Reg. number data
by evennewerbie / April 2, 2011 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: EXIF

Thank you. The warning is surely useful to some people.

In my case I searched the huge pdf manual of the Nikon S8000 I have on my computer and 'GPS' returned nothing. 'EXIF' returned just a sentence and it is Exif version 2.2 if that means anything to anybody in relation to my questions. I guessed if GPS is not mentioned it does not have it? But then I went to http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF and that has a lot about GPS starting on p46 - so I have just NO WAY OF HAVING THE FOGGIEST IDEA whether I've got it or not unless someone can kindly tell me!

I would be more concerned to know one way or the other if the camera individual registration number - tantamount practically to identifying the photographer - can be read off a pic. Searching 'registration' in above documents returned nothing relevant but, considering the above, can I really conclude anything from that?

Finally this reminds me, maybe location cannot be easily hidden/faked if you have GPS but date/time can easily be falsified either on purpose or by negligence of not having set it or updated at battery change etc. This came out in massive considerations on the web after videos and photos of the Israel coastguard seizure of the Gaza blockade-busting attempt ship a year or two ago. Very much was made of the discrepancy between the datestamp that appeared and the actual date of the event, which was held by some to prove the whole lot was faked!

Collapse -
EXIF/GPS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 3:08 AM PDT

The Nikon S8000 does not have GPS capability built-in.
There are few digital cameras that have GPS built-in.
However - there are lots of cell-phone cameras that have GPS built-in.

If a camera puts its serial number in the EXIF data, and you have registered the camera with the manufacturer, the manufacturer can cross reference your camera's photos with your name and address.

Check your EXIF data from a photo taken with your camera and if it does not include the camera serial number, there is no way the manufacturer can cross reference the photo to your name.

Any data in a EXIF data, can be faked/falsified by anyone who is included to do such things.

For any readers that do not know how to read EXIF data in a photo:

You can download an excellent free photo viewer program called Irfanview (www.irfanview.com).
Open a photo with Irfanview and then click Image/Information.
If the photo has EXIF information you will see a button called EXIF.
Click that button and see what information is available.

Collapse -
Getting rid of EXIF
by richteral / April 1, 2011 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you and reaction

Another, simple way to delete the metadata embedded with digital photos comes courtesy IrfanView; this is free, much-liked viewing and editing software. Simply opening a picture in it, then choosing Save As, will bring up a detailed menu with options for saving. One of them asks you whether to keep EXIF, and you just tick/untick as you please.

EXIF data can be quite comprehensive, and does identify your photo. Different viewing programmes will display different ranges of metadata, so often there could be more than meets the eye in YOUR picture viewer (typically nowadays, Windows Live Photo Gallery).

Just as documents you might write out in Word are identifiable, practically finger-printed unless you take precautions, so are photographs and/or any other digitally produced stuff. That is the way with computers, and that is why you need to protect your privacy when needed.

Clone Stamp is just a tool; Paint.NET is vaguely associated with Microsoft. It is much easier to use than Photoshop, and provides very good functionality. Many an editing software would facilitate a number of Photoshop plug-ins (filters, etc.) to be used, disposing of the need to actually have Photoshop.

Great that you have managed to resolve your issue in the end!

Collapse -
Trying That
by evennewerbie / April 2, 2011 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting rid of EXIF

That sounded interesting. I downloaded this IrfanView. (There were zillions of OPTIONS I have no idea what they represent, I think I said Yes to all.)

Apart from privacy (I still don't know whether my individual camera is identified in the data) it seems to me totally more satisfactory as principle not to mention time-saving if the data generating the datestamp is removed than if you merely retouch the photo. Presumably everything that was photographed and then overlaid on the pic by datestamp is recovered in the first case. However from my first brief attempts I have doubts about whether this is what is happening.

On my first attempt, my first photo I thought Great - look no datestamp! Later looking more carefully there was a vague shadow of red stuff, quite like when previously I had retouched not very well. On second photo same thing plus the last (rightmost) digit of the datestamp is perfectly clear. On the third photo, although the KEEP EXIF is still unticked the datestamp has remained unaltered.

That is all I could do for today - but if the stuff I can see is like that I worry about what I can't. I will have another try tomorrow.

Collapse -
Tried again - getting to wallbash phase now
by evennewerbie / April 2, 2011 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Getting rid of EXIF

Thank you Richteral and snapshot2 for telling me about Irfanview.

However I am getting into wallbash phase with my problems now.

To resume, I want to do 2 things:
delete visible datestamp from photos;
delete private metadata that might be obtained from my photos when sent out. Which involves KNOWING and being able to CHECK what it is.

After the initial apparent and partial successes that did not last, mentioned in my last post, I started again today. Again saving with Keep EXIF INFO failed to remove datestamp. (I save them in the same folder and just change photo name by adding and A or B at the end of the existing one which is hwat the camera assigned it - DSCN Number.jpg).

I followed the indications of snapshot for viewing the EXIF info. Could see nothing seemingly bearing on my questions in there - it was photographic data + data about where it's stored in my computer - 'Directory' and 'Full Path', I don't know if someone could get to me through that(?).

However there was another button in there called 'EXIF TAGS'. Clicked that - it said it could not tell me, I needed to download Irfan PLUGINS. Did that, rebooted, same routine, it told me I needed to download Irfan PLUGINS. (Starts wallbash). On the third attempt (stuff on way another story) it worked and I could access EXIF TAGS.

Inside there the info. so far as I could see again seemed mostly photographic. I would have liked to copy this info so I could show you what it is. I tried, it could not be done in normal way but it said copied to your clipboard. It is years that this clipboard comes up now and then and I have never found out what it is, where it lives, what it wants. :walbash: Search disk or documents turns up nothing. A 750-page For Dummies (Troubleshooting PC) book I have does not have clipboard in the index. But Hey! - I noted one thing it told me - that YCbCr Positioning was Co-Sited! Oh yes! And fancy that! :wallbash: (Perhaps, for experts, I should explain that I am one of those people who does not know what that means :embarasse )

I went back to the thing maybe after some reboots to make sure the programme and the plugins had seen each other, failed again to delete datestamp and this time on EXIF INFO the EXIF TAGS button was not there any more :wallbash::wallbash:

(Oh and there is a button called IPTC INFO, but that seems to be asking for info, who knows why, not giving any.)

Collapse -
typo
by evennewerbie / April 3, 2011 12:01 AM PDT

I meant in last post KEEP EXIF INFO unticked.

Collapse -
Timestamp
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: typo

I guess we did not state it strong enough.
There is no easy way to remove a visible timestamp.
EXIF will not do it.

The easiest way to delete a visible timestamp is to use a program similar to PhotoShop and use the Clone Stamp Tool to copy something else in the photo and stamp it over the timestamp.

It is the easiest way but it is not easy to do and do a good job of it.
You have to understand what the clone stamp tool is doing and you have to work carefully. I usually have to use the Edit/Undo command many times because part of the effort did not come out right. You could easily spend an hour just to get rid of a timestamp.

Programs such as PhotoShop have a high learning curve.
It takes time to know how to use them effectively and quickly.

Collapse -
Example
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Timestamp

Here is a link to a sample photo that shows the original photo and the final photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/IMG_1115o2R.jpg

The original was cropped to remove the half a person to the right and to remove some of the background.
Then the Clone Stamp Tool was used to remove the old Christmas lights.

Sample areas of the background were copied and stamped over the Christmas tree wires and lights. This takes many uses of the Clone Stamp Tool to cover all of the unwanted area. I had to magnify the image when working around people to keep from stamping over their heads/ears, etc.

If you check the EXIF data, you will see that some of the original EXIF data still remains but it now shows that PhotoShop Elements was used when the photo was saved this last time.

Collapse -
Understood!
by evennewerbie / April 3, 2011 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Timestamp

Thank you.
Nobody said EXIF uncheck would remove a visible timestamp - I misled myself. I think what happened was that after doing the recommended operations on my first pic I found the datestamp removed, so I thought that's what did it, and it was not illogical to think that that operation would do just that. It would have been logical to design EXIFS that way, but I guess what happened is that I had previously retouched my first photo or two and forgotten!

The retouching, as you say, takes time and is not easy to do perfectly. I just took 15 min over one, not perfect. Fortunately all I need is that it is not obtrusive any more, a small imperfection in a confused corner will often not be noticed when a datestamp would.

Collapse -
Take it easy ...
by richteral / April 3, 2011 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: typo

A distinction needs to be made between DATA (that is your visible time/date stamp) and METADATA (invisible in the photo, but also containing date/time).

1. You are trying to get rid of the visible time and/or date, say, for aesthetic reasons. This is a manual task that can be performed in a number of ways, one of them being the use of the Clone Stamp tool to pick a patch of suitable background and apply it over the offensive area. Just as you have done with Photoshop, under guidance. Now, that takes care of the DATA.

2. The METADATA, however, is likely to have remained intact. You may want to delete such information embedded with the photo, say, for reasons of privacy. That is where the Saving As method in IrfanView comes in handy, as described earlier. Once you have saved a copy of your photo with "Keep original EXIF" option negative, that is that - no more invisible metadata should you email or publish your snap online.

So you are doing two separate things here, not just one, all right? Do not panic, take it slow, step by step, learn from errors. Also, as I always say, read the manual.

Since I never bothered with plug-ins in IrfanView, I do not know what exactly it shows for EXIF, like, is there also the camera serial number. It should not matter, though, since once you have done Save As as above, there are no more details about the camera make & model, day & time, aperture, lens, shutter speed, or whatever else. Complete blank. Nada. Job done. To check, you may re-open the new copy denuded of metadata and press the EXIF tab to see ... that there is nothing to be seen.

Collapse -
Very useful!
by evennewerbie / April 3, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Take it easy ...

Thank you, that has clarified things.

I agree with several who said it is better not to have the datestamp there in the first place unless you have a particular reason. (Usually I hadn't, it was just for photos over a certain period). However you guys have given me a useful thing - which is knowing I can find dates and data of a nonstamped photo! It looks like I could even put them back at least when printing according to camera instructions which as you said I should have read (but it is 185 not enthralling pages :D) .

I think have now realised the reason for the absence of the EXIF TAGS button of which I complained in my last wallbash para. It is its way of telling me the data is no longer there.

I would not have got to my present state of enlightenment without you guys - thanks!

Collapse -
OK - now how can I do it for a batch?
by evennewerbie / September 12, 2011 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Take it easy ...

OK thanks, I now did that for some files, Save As, photo by photo.

But for a file of 30 photos, say, it is a bit tedious.

So my question now is - if I want to eliminate this EXIFS data from every photo (say in a copied file) of a file without doing it one by one, how can I do it?

I do not seem to be able to do a Save As for the file as a whole, The Save As button goes faded-inaccessible until I bring up an individual photo.

And then there is a 'batch treatment' button, but it just leads to quite mysterious things.

If it can be done perhaps there is a simple series of instructions like you gave me for the individual photos?
(I have spent some time on this, maybe I even achieved it once but if so I have forgotten how). Sad

Collapse -
Thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2011 7:33 AM PDT

If I wanted to do that, I think I'd try IRFANVIEW first. Sorry, no tutorial, just a title I find a bit handy.
Bob

Collapse -
Batch remove EXIF in IrfanView
by richteral / September 14, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

You could look at http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Dy2C for guidance; ignore the "photoshop" reference in the heading, and read esp. Jeff Spirer entries for instructions. Although the discussion started six years ago, by the latest comments you will see it is still alive. Other EXIF-removing utilities get mentioned there, but I think you will be best off sticking with the devil you know already.

Collapse -
1/6 WORKED
by evennewerbie / September 14, 2011 11:48 AM PDT

Thank you, I have spent all evening on that and could say it half worked, or that it 1/6 worked in the sense that of three prescriptions I got half of one working.

The one that half worked was Spirer's. I wasted a lot of time and then tried the others, then came back to it. I wasted this time because I was expecting After 'Lossless transformations...' there to be a button 'Custom' and there isn't. He did not say to click on 'Rotate' and as I had no intention to rotate anything I didn't. I think it is the habit of sloppy descriptions like this not taking into account the user that some of us newbies will be newbies all our lives like me and grandma will not buy or use a computer. Angry (Maybe an I-pad though from what I hear.)

I think I did get just as good results, a bit less controlled and sure, by going through Save selected thumbs as single images and giving the batch of files a new name. A tab comes up with EXIFS unticked. With Spirer's method you untick it yourself which makes you feel more in control.

However neither of these methods removes ITCP info and it seems to me better privacy if I could. I had better state why I think, guess or intuit it is or isn't. When I click on untreated individual photo files in Irfan the tab has a button EXIFS and a button IPTC; when I click the treated (either way) ones there is only a IPTC button. Not the most explicit statement anyone normal could imagine or wish for but self-evident to nerds that EXIFS but not IPTC data has been removed I guess. And when I click the IPTC button, there is the chain of This\that\... location in my computer which I guess could mean something to a nerd so is a violation of privacy. Otherwise it looks like a lot of empty forms to fill in. I do not feel very easy about these things.

For the other programmes, Exifcleaner sounded like most complete security. However it is a 30-day trial programme. I tried it, I could find no instructions and I couldn't load my pic files into Exifcleaner onscreen thingies. One Luke Inman gave 'all you need to do', then someone else beat out of him that this was in Photoshop which I have, I could do SELECT-ALL EDIT, then the COPY key is there but it is dead. Oof!

Collapse -
Time to bite the bullet ...
by Gerdd / February 11, 2011 5:50 PM PST

Looking at all the previous responses, it becomes clear to me that in their total they just about must confuse you endlessly.

Since the relatively easy fix of cropping the image doesn't work for you in many cases (understandibly) it would be very useful if you could get a beginer's instruction into image editing. It doesn't have to be Photoshop - that is a very big and complex tool for professional work. There are many smaller tools that are also easier to work with.

But you need to get a systematic introduction into backing up the original photos, saving the edited results under a different name but the same image type (JPG, probably) and getting your slide show to only show the edited images and so on. Most pf the problems you have encountered are easy to fix, but it is much easier if you have an overview of the overall process - some of it is "PC 101" and some of it is "digital photo editing 101". The two play together here. Also, bear in mind that the EXIF data that one poster referred to is information that the camera embeds into the image and it can be read out by computer software but isn't visible in the picture. But (!) not all image editors will save it to the edited picture (this is one good reason to keep the original pictures around - even some image rotation software might drop this info!

Collapse -
Photo date & time removal
by rldunc / February 12, 2011 6:53 AM PST

Post by mwooge (Feb 11) is the simplest way to avoid the problem in the first place. Just don't allow the camera to imprint the date/time on the digital image. The owners' manual for the Nikon S8000 shows this is toggled on/off from: Menu > Setup > Date > OFF.

You can always get the metadata, including date/time, from your digital image program (iPhoto, Picasa, etc) if you need it at a later time.

Collapse -
remove date from photos
by _synapse_ / February 17, 2012 4:38 AM PST

You can use photo retouching software Inpaint to remove date stamps from already taken photos

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!