Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Photo claimed to show Iran President with hostage

A photo has emerged which it is claimed links the President-elect of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, with the taking of 60 American hostages during the US embassy siege in Tehran in 1979.

A London-based Iranian news agency which opposes Mr Ahmadinejad is circulating the photograph, which it says was taken by the Associated Press news agency on the first day of the hostage crisis.

In the picture, a man which the Iran Focus agency claims it has identified as Mr Ahmadinejad, is seen holding the arm of a blindfolded US hostage.

The possible role of Mr Ahmadinejad in the embassy takeover, which lasted 444 days and remains a significant sore between America and Iran, came to light in the run-up to the presidential elections on June 17.

Mr Ahmadinejad is known to have been member of the "Office for Strengthening of Unity Between Universities and Theological Seminaries" or the OSU, the main student group behind the takeover, but his precise role in the hostage-taking was unclear.

Yesterday, in an article on the BBC website, the broadcaster John Simpson appeared to pour fuel on the controversy when he said he recalled meeting Mr Ahmadinejad after the hostage crisis and remembered seeing him in the grounds of the embassy.

very interesting if true
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1673938,00.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo claimed to show Iran President with hostage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo claimed to show Iran President with hostage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not surprising

In reply to: Photo claimed to show Iran President with hostage

That's the people who were "elected" in Iran.

Collapse -
I heard this on the news the other night

In reply to: Not surprising

and wondered immediately if the 'election' that got this guy into power is the same type of 'election' that Saddam claimed over and over as winning.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) saddams were fair ask him:)

In reply to: I heard this on the news the other night

Collapse -
Since he came from way behind all the front runners

In reply to: I heard this on the news the other night

and the more moderate candidates were banned from the ballot, I'd say so.

Collapse -
Ex-hostage opinion is divided over whether Ahmadinejad

In reply to: Photo claimed to show Iran President with hostage

was one of the hostage takers. Some are certain he was, others don't think so. Twenty-five years has intervened which can make identification difficult.

In my view it is certainly a possibility, but the US is now confronting a situation met originally by the British in Africa. Imagine how thrilled the Brits were to have Jomo Kenyatta as President of Kenya when he had been a leader of the Mau Mau terrorists which had attacked whites in isolated plantations and farmhouses and murdered them in all sorts of horrible and excruciating ways now all too familiar after the conflicts more recently reported from Liberia, Rwanda, the Congo and other places. History marches on in sometimes regrettable ways and all we can do is deal with it. Refusal to deal hardens both positions and in my opinion just makes things worse and more likely to blow up.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) if it's a race, Mugabe beats Kenyatta by 4 lengths

In reply to: Ex-hostage opinion is divided over whether Ahmadinejad

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.