Phones forum

Question

Phone to Send Bulk Text Messages to Groups From Computer

by samtern / July 3, 2011 3:45 AM PDT

Hi,

I am looking for a phone that can easily accept groups created by Microsoft Access (or Excel).

Basically I would like to make a query with access, and send the list to my phone in order to send out a bulk sms. I need to constantly make new lists for sending out text messages, so I am looking for something that can accomplish this easily.

A big plus would be if I can actually type the text messages and read them on the computer screen (when the phone is connected to the computer).

This is for use in the UK.

Thank you very much,

Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Phone to Send Bulk Text Messages to Groups From Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Phone to Send Bulk Text Messages to Groups From Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not use a SMS service ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

somewhere on the web in stead of your own phone?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks! I was using one, but...
by samtern / July 3, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick response!

I was using one: bulksms.co.uk, but 1) It ends up costing me a few hundred dollars a month, and 2) I would like to have the messages come to my phone if at all possible.

Do you know of any packages online that offers unlimited texting for a set price?

Collapse -
Dead end really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

If you look a little deeper at sms from the phone the usual 10 number limit per message means the phone would be busy for some time.

Let's be honest. This sounds like spam. To get more help, share the full story, your website about your project and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Not Spam
by samtern / July 4, 2011 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead end really.

I don't mind the phone taking a while to send the messages. It's mainly that I'd rather spend the money on a phone, and not give all the money to a bulksms.

Collapse -
Because that's what spammers want to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Spam

And they want to lower the costs to zero since it's all about money and not getting it done.

Since you are in the UK, solutions I know of don't apply EXCEPT I am an author of mobile apps. This is not an offer of my works but a good programmer could take some Android cell phone and write some app to send such messages from lists of numbers.

Again, not an offer of services or apps and I'm not in the UK so keep looking there. Ask the cell phone provider for this service too.
Bob

Collapse -
smscaster.com
by samtern / July 5, 2011 2:34 AM PDT

While searching online, I came across this website smscaster.com, which supposedly does what I need done. Anybody have experience with them?

Basically, if I would have one large group to send messages to, that wouldn't be a problem, as I would just enter all the contacts into my phone once, and be done with it. The problem is that within the list of people I need to send text messages to (Approximately 500 numbers), I need to constantly tweek which people to send which messages to, so that's why I need to be constantly redoing the groups over and over.

Collapse -
hello
by lilyhan / July 14, 2011 7:44 PM PDT
In reply to: smscaster.com

i'm in a similar situation now... and was wondering what you ended up doing ultimately. any feedback/insight would be helpful. thanks.

Collapse -
Nothing yet
by samtern / July 18, 2011 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: hello

No, I haven't found anything yet. I am sure there is a phone out there that can do the job, I just don't know which one it is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.