Computer Help forum

Question

Philips TV blinking / going blank

Ok. I've been putting up with this annoying problem that's been going on for over a year.

First, here are my specs:

PC: HP Compaq CQ5210F
Processor: AMD Athlon II x2 215 Processor 2.70 GHz
Memory: 3 GB of RAM
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 9500GT
Display: Philips 40" TV - yes, it supports high resolution (1920x1080)

TV and PC connected with DVI cable and HDMI adapter.

What happens is when I first boot up the computer, the TV blinks constantly, sometimes going completely black for a few seconds before coming back on.
It took me ages when I first got the TV to figure out that if I go into the Screen Resolution window and change the resolution to - well - anything, hit apply, then change it back to 1920x1080, apply again, the blinking stops. I have to do this every single time I boot up my computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Philips TV blinking / going blank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Philips TV blinking / going blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's typical of HDMI and specifically HDCP handshakes.

In reply to: Philips TV blinking / going blank

It's by design and that's code for not going to change.

However it appears that you have some other issue. If installing the latest or other version of video driver does not correct this I would change the video card.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: That's typical of HDMI and specifically HDCP handshakes.

ok thanks. I always update my GeForce drivers to the newest versions on a regular basis.

The video card seems to work with everything else, ie, video games, 3d modelling/rendering software.

Collapse -
So why not?

In reply to: Thanks

Why not use a GeForce driver cleaner and install just the version you want?

Why I note this is that installing driver after driver could leave cruft or something that can cause trouble.

And as always, do such work in an admin account, try this on a new account too for the reasons all XP owners have learned over the years.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't know why I never thought to do that.

In reply to: So why not?

Thanks, I will try the GeForce driver cleaner and see how it goes.

I am on Windows 7, not XP by the way. What is the reason not to do it from my default admin account?

Collapse -
Safety mainly.

In reply to: Don't know why I never thought to do that.

One of the issues of having one admin account is that there is an old issue that MSFT never addressed. By using your other admin account I clear off 2 issues in 1 step.

While you are doing the work, clean it and if you want an example of the driver and cleaning results, read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-605877/computer-blue-screen-irql-not-less-or-equal/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

My bet it was both issues in their case.

Still think you only need one admin account? Read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-605908/user-profile-failed/?tag=contentBody;threadListing
Bob

Collapse -
It didn't work.

In reply to: Safety mainly.

Thanks again for taking the time to help, but it's still not working.

I uninstalled all the nvidia graphics drivers and restarted. Once restarted the screen stopped blinking! I thought GREAT! Hope this keeps up once I re-install the drivers...(Although the resolution was at 800x600)

Next I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the latest driver for my graphics card. Installed, restarted, and the blinking is back.

Any other ideas?

Sad

Collapse -
At this poing I'm trying other video cards.

In reply to: It didn't work.

A nice update for a 9500 is the ATI 5450 1GB model.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but...

In reply to: At this poing I'm trying other video cards.

Thanks but when I change my graphics card I will definitely be getting another Nvidia, not an ATI card. ATI Radeon cards aren't the best for using 3d modelling programs such as Blender.

Is my only option getting a new graphics card? I guess I should start saving up.

Collapse -
Whatever you choose

In reply to: Thanks but...

to use, make sure you have the right PSU to run the new GPU , otherwise you're gonna have problems....Digger

Collapse -
Poing? Odd typo. Sorry.

In reply to: Thanks but...

I can't say I'd write that about ATI today. As the office has many of both, today's models seem fine or as they say "Ford or Chevy?"

It appears you exhausted what can be done as well as all possible settings. I will end with one note.

Sometimes an owner will not use settings that are supported by the display. I can't tell if that's an issue here.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.