TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Philips DVD Video Player versus Panasonic HDTV connectivity:

by Bongo_Tech / March 1, 2009 12:58 AM PST

I recently purchase a Philips DVD Video Player DVP 5140 and tried to connect to my Panasonic Wide Screen TV CT-34WX53 unsuccessfully. I had an older VHS/DVD player attached to it and when I make the new connections between the HDTV and the new Philips DVD player they just don?t see each other.

I need some help or tip on how to connect these two pieces of hardware. Or, configuration settings between these two appliances.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Philips DVD Video Player versus Panasonic HDTV connectivity:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Philips DVD Video Player versus Panasonic HDTV connectivity:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which connections did you use?
by ahtoi / March 1, 2009 2:40 AM PST

components or composite(yel,red,wht). Either one should have worked.

Collapse -
Composite
by Bongo_Tech / March 1, 2009 5:21 AM PST

The DVD player came with one composite video cable and two audio cables. The back of the TV has nine different connections for video input. I tried most of them, went through all 125 channels for every socket I tried. The setup screen never came up. The previous machine (VHS/DVD) had more than one video cables connected to the TV and I'm starting to think the TV has some configurations programed into it that doesn't allow communication between itself and the new appliance. I doubt it though.

I looked for a video in (CVBS) socket on the TV, but didn't find it (CV should stand for Component Video, but, BS I don't know). Thanks.

Collapse -
Here's what you need to do
by Dan Filice / March 1, 2009 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Composite

The one yellow video cable is not the one you want to use. Go buy Component cables, which look like the yellow RCA cable you have, but they are color coded in Red, Blue and Green. Plug those those into the corresponding color connections on the back of your DVD player and your TV. You will need to use the Red/White audio cables that you have. There should be audio connections directly next to the Component video connections, and you want to use the Red/White cables on those. The Component video connections on your TV should have a marking telling you which Video Input they are, like Video 3 or something. You then simply need to go into your TV and choose that Input as the source to watch your DVD. Your DVD player came with an instruction manual. If all else fails, read the "How to Connect" chapter. You only want to use the Component for DVD connections though because that, and HDMI, are the only ones that will send an HD signal to your TV. All other connections (Coax, Yellow RCA, S-Video) will not.

Collapse -
:-)
by Bongo_Tech / March 1, 2009 9:06 AM PST

Dan, thank you so much for tip. I used the component cable (from the other DVD player as you suggested) and the disc got loaded almost immediately, not even needing to run the set-up routine. You just saved the day!!!

Collapse -
Thanks
by Bongo_Tech / March 1, 2009 9:10 AM PST

Ahtoi, you gave the hint of maybe trying the component cable, but, I didn't quite catch it. Thanks for your response.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?